The Future of design?

After a lecture on design futures at Uni I wondered what peoples views were.

Where will Deign be in 20 years time? Could it really be like irobot, AI?

How about the way we design, new technologies and software, Will there be a package that can calculate aesthetics and beauty and even replace the designer!

Just thought it was an interesting topic for debate!

I feel more emphasis will be with emotions… possibly more AI in terms of interface, a more human interaction with computers.

Also sustainable design is being ‘pushed’ so hard at all universities throughout the land- the next generation of designers may see this issue as an over riding factor.

As far as a’smart machine’ goes for the perfect designs…well who knows!

keywords:

automation
nanotechnology
internet industrialization/quality control,
virtual studiowork/navigation/interaction

we will see many traditional ideas about business and education changing due to overabundance of knowledge and performance. as a result business leadership will become increasingly independent of personal/political goals.

automation
nanotechnology
internet industrialization/quality control,
virtual studiowork/navigation/interaction…

can you explan futher

thanx

Calculate aesthetic and beauty? In 20 years? Doubt that would happen in 200 years.

All of the advancements in software and technology over the past 10 years have been amazing. They have helped both good design and bad design get to market faster and cheaper! All of the developments have been tools in our boxs. From the first magnetized graphit pencils, to SLA machines, the tools are not able to make judgment calls on function or form.

I see the advancements in these tools continuing rapidly. I think in the next few years we will have affordable VR design. Sculpting products with force feedback gloves directly into 3d software.

If anyone’s jobs are endagered it is the entry level engineers. When there are no manufacturing techniques being explored, it will be easy for software to take a solid or surface model, offset it, add bosses and ribs where auto stress tests deem neccesary, and then cut a tooling. These types of implementation jobs could be under pressure from faster and better software.

But even with artificial intelligence, predicting a human’s emotional response seems pretty unlikely, we can only do it intuitively.

I cant see the design process changing in the near future… sure new software etc will come along but this will only bring product to market quicker.

A 3D CAD package which once a model is build, all tooling and production methods are calculated to save time wastage etc. That willl be the next thing I believe.

Designers are’nt exstinct, they’ll always be around, we need creativity to evolve

automate is the concept behind seamless automated production where you program a process so that the control and operation is done automatically through equipment free of human intruption.

nanotech is the science for miniaturization of components whether active (like sensors, biomechanical, robotic, electronic,etc) or static ie. surface of an airplane wing.

it’s a broad field so expect a lot of specialized engineers coming out of it and most likely even industrial designers who would be called nanotech designsrs because the process involves different structural understanding of design.

internet qc-industrialize to use internet as an interactive tool for quality control in factories and shops, create logistic network of these groups, and integrate related networks such as standards/defined systems, patent/copyright, technical references/ database, etc into the main network for maximum efficiency.

future quality control will most likely be done outside the factory environment for two main factors. cost and safety. the tools will be virtual and they’ll substitute for the real object being controlled.

virtual studio a design studio which is virtually connected to all aspects of the design process through virtual tools.

I just read this.
Apparently its the future acoording to Karim Rashid

http://www.dexigner.com/product/news-g3729.html