The First Website

I’m attempting to create my own website, but I’m not very good with web stuff just yet so I was hoping some of you might be able to help. First, any good books about how/where to start? Like, what’s a good place to host my site, where the best place to get my domain name, what do I have to look out for? I’m thinking of designing the site in GoLive, just because that’s what I have on my computer. I just wanted to know if that was some huge mistake, b/c everyone seems to use dreamweaver or flash. I guess I’d just like to know if anyone else struggled creating their first site, and what got you through it. Thanks :smiley:

Dont worry mate your not by yourself, i had big trouble designing my first site. I used flash to design it and had a stack for three flash bibles beside my computer. I knew the basics in flash but not enough to produce a site. I did get through it though and created a excellent site which all my friend and family loved i even got some work through it which was good.

The thing that kept me going was the big sign i made and put on my wall which said,

IM A DESIGNER NOT A TEACHER< I WANT A PROPER JOB IN THE DESIGN INDUSTRY DESIGNING SEXY PRODUCT…

KEEPING GOING MY SON YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THIS SITE IN ORDER TO APPLY FOR THOSE JOBS>

I know it might sound stupid but it worked for me and it helped me get through. As for software designing your site I would say use flash. Forget about hosting and domain names for the time being get the site up and running first, then have a website party when your site goes live…

If you compare the Macromedia products to the Adobe products I think they are both good but I like to mix and match programs. I’ve found that for my work the best combination is Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, and Illustrator.

GoLive and LiveMotion never did anything for me and likewise Freehand and Fireworks never seemed to work as well. Since Macromedia is the originator of Flash I think its best to stay with them since they are going to be the ones deciding the features and updates.

To learn flash I would get a visual quickstart guide. They are very simple and don’t overcomplicate things.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321213440/qid=1108956873/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-0265246-7008765

For learning html you should get a book that also talks about CSS and DHTML as that will teach you just about everything you need to know in one guide. Then its just a matter of combining the two programs for the final product.

If you do decide to make the site entirely from flash dont forget to type all of your keywords and other meta tags into the html. Otherwise your site will be passed over by most search engines.