The european desigschool with good reputation!?

Hei folks…

I’m gonna reply on a designschool in Scandinavia + the UK, but I’m in doubt of what is good…? :wink:

There are alot of schools in this area, which is good and bad? :neutral_face:

This question I would state to be almost impossible to answer if you do not specify at least what field you are interested in and what you consider to be good and bad. In other words, what do you value (facilities, teachers, research, class size, …)?

Oups! my mistake… :wink:
Was thinking about Industrial Design…

Relevant schools in the UK are:

-Birmingham Institute of Design
-Bournemouth University
-Brunel University: Faculty of Design
-Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design
-Coventry University
-DeMontfort University
-Loughborough University, Department of Design and Technology
-Napier University
-Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication
-Sheffield Hallam University
-South Bank University, School of Engineering Systems and Design
-The Surrey Institute of Art & Design, University College
-Swansea Institute, Faculty of Applied Design & Engineering
-University of Central Lancashire
-University of Huddersfield
-University of Salford

Somebody familiar with any of these schools? Any recommendations?

Appreciate any tip/help :slight_smile:

I went to Central St. Martins as a study abroad student in Product Design. I thought it was pretty good in terms of profs and direction, they’re also quite demanding, but I felt the facilities were somewhat lacking. They have an excellent reputation for fashion/textile design. I don’t know a lot about the other schools you mentioned, but University of Newcastle on Tyne has a fantastic ID reputation – alma mater to computer design guru Jonathon Ive. I know a few people who studied abroad there and felt the program was good, too. I hope this helps.

Thanks alot e!:slight_smile: everything helps :wink:

I’m just curious. Does anyone know how the reputation of the school in Newcastle is? I think it used to be called Newcastle Polytechnics, then University of Northumbria, and currently changed to Northumbria University. Johnason Ives is an alumni, but although his name is famous, I don’t hear the name of the school so much internationally.

Anyone know?

I’m in my final year at Brunel (West London) and would recommend it if you’re interested in a more technological approach to ID - not that the aesthetic content of the courses isn’t strong, but the outcome of most of the projects needs to work and look good.
The ID, PD, IDE & ID&T programmes all include a year of placement in a design or design-related company and there are opportunities for exchange with San Francisco SU, Milan and Australia. Brunel seems finally to be getting more involved in competitions - just this week they’ve announced a partnership with the Audi Design Foundation to work on a sustainable design project for South America.
From this summer the Dept of Design & Systems Engineering as it is at present will be part of a new School of Engineering & Design, which, it is claimed, will have better facilities and funding.

One thing to bear in mind - in the UK, “Product Design” courses are often more styling/aesthetically orientated than “Industrial Design”, even at the same university. This is generally the converse of the US and elsewhere, and is something to bear in mind when choosing a course. I know at Brunel the structure is fairly fluid and you can end up choosing modules to tailor your course to your own requirements, so the actual degree title is not that important. For example, I’m doing Industrial Design Engineering, but there’s negligible engineering content.

If you’re in the UK in the summer to come to Open Days, make sure to come to Brunel on the 13-15 June because it’s the annual design show - this year called Good Thinking : Brunel Design 04 and the biggest yet (130 students’ projects, all displayed in an English country garden party atmosphere on the edge of Windsor Park, with top designers visiting and speaking). Entirely organised by the students and well worth a visit.

Good luck!

Anyone here go to Birmingham Institute of Design?

Northumbrias rep? Although I’m a loughborough grad myself, the work I’ve seen coming out of Northumbria in recent years has got continually better. At this years grad shows there were in my opinion, 2 unis that stood out above the rest, Northumbria for its professional presence, students who looked like they couldnt get enough and the quality of work, although largely furniture based. Ravensbourne for its attitude, the students here seem to be 100% tapped into it and this mindset is reflected through the diversity and ingenueity of what was on show. This place is also in the London area, in the thick of it. If u talk to anyone from there you’ll get it that they get it!

are all these schools for undergraduate study? what about grad?

im studying postgrad at the Royal College of Art

im gonna blow my trumpet, but in terms of teaching and facilities, it is the best. most of the biggest players in uk design went here and tutor, and as we all know its half about contacts

www.rca.ac.uk

for undergrad, i think brunel is excellent. loughborough and glasgow and leeds are worht a shout for sure.

hi billy,
can i ask how is the phd course in RCA differs from the masters one?
saw some of the platforms… looks really cool, are the students suppose to go through all of it?

It is great to see all the good comments about the School of Design at Northumbria University! To clarify things….when Jonathan Ive studied Industrial Design here we were known as Newcastle Polytechnic, but we have been a University for many years now. Please let me know if you are interested in joining any of our undergrad or Masters programmes as an international student. I would be very happy to help with any enquiries. :slight_smile:

i am going currental at ravensbourgn witch has the reputation of producing the mot wellrounded student, st centmarting is good for thinking consepts but there students cant make anything, brunel is verey technical VERY technical!! i think there the onnes to consider for a BA if u want a NA go RCA or design acadamy endhoven in netherlands( this is also good for BA)

i am going currental at ravensbourgn witch has the reputation of producing the mot wellrounded student, st centmarting is good for thinking consepts but there students cant make anything, brunel is verey technical VERY technical!! i think there the onnes to consider for a BA if u want a NA go RCA or design acadamy endhoven in netherlands( this is also good for BA)

Gest (David?) : you sound like a cross between a badly configured speech recognition program and Stanley Unwin