The BIG Whoops

For anyone catching PBS’s “Frontline” show last night (“Chasing Saddam’s Weapons”), all the news today is pretty funny in a sick kind of way. Excellent show regardless of your position on the subject.

But today we have:

Wired News:

Iran Tie to 9-11?

If a key witness in the Hamburg trial of suspected Sept. 11 plotter Abdelghani Mzoudi is telling the truth, Iran knew about the planned attacks ahead of time. Hamid Reza Zakeri, a former Iranian intelligence agent, told a German court that both supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and former President Hashemi Rafsanjani were fully informed of the planned attack by Osama bin Laden’s top deputy. German federal police are investigating the claims which, if confirmed, will put the Bush administration in a difficult position. The administration has repeatedly vowed to punish any foreign government found to have involvement in the attacks.

This comes on top of this:

Associated Press

CIA Picks New Iraq Weapons Inspector

WASHINGTON - The top U.S. weapons inspector in Iraq is stepping down from the position and will be succeeded by a veteran of weapons inspections during Saddam Hussein’s regime, CIA Director George Tenet announced Friday.

David Kay, who has led the search since the fall of Saddam’s regime, is “stepping down,” according to a CIA statement. He will be replaced by Charles Duelfer.

I like the way it sounds like Kay is being succeeded by “a veteran”. Makes it sound like Kay had no experience. I guess saying “a veteran” instead of “another veteran” is politically risky.

However, it looks like Kay is unhappy with the current rhetoric in Washington (if you saw the Frontline show, you’ll recall how much a part he played in claiming all sorts of stuff that turned out incorrect). Maybe he’s also tired of being wrong (he now admits to mistakes based on “straws of evidence” - like the aluminum tubes he claimed were for nuclear centrifuges but can’t, according to experts, be used for that due to the type of aluminum; they were apparently for small rockets just like Iraq claimed). Poor David Kay. Hope he doesn’t follow the lead of that British analyst. I mean, saying the following must be pretty depressing:

Wired News:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - David Kay, who stepped down as leader of the U.S. hunt for weapons of mass destruction, said on Friday he does not believe there were any large stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons in Iraq.

“I don’t think they existed,” Kay told Reuters in a telephone interview. “What everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced after the end of the last (1991) Gulf War and I don’t think there was a large-scale production program in the '90s,” he said.

Next stop: Iran?

Its interesting to see what was in the news just a couple of years ago…