The big NO! of admission interviews.

My interview for the AAS ID at Parsons is next month, the instructions for the project I have to prepare for admission can best be described as open to intepretation/ bordering on vaque!. I understand why this is deliberate but I am British and quite frankly the way we think and approach ‘open ended’ questions can often be VERY different to the way the rest of the world does. Seriousy :open_mouth: If there is one big NO NO in relation to presenting the work, what not to say, what not to do, what not to wear! I would love to hear it. Thanks :wink:

I am not going to discussed the no-nos because there are probably many that I can’t think of. However, I will give you a great guide,which should determine what you should and should not do.

I have spoken to several deans of art schools. All of them have noted certain qualities that they want, which you need to communicate that you have.

1. Passion: It is very important that art students show definite passion for art. It is even better if you have experience in your proposed major so you can be passionate about the proposed major. Art is tough, hard work. If you love what you do, it isn’t felt as hard work. Passion can also be shown though extra curricular work such as outside course taken. It is important that you show work that you have done OUTSIDE of class. Hopefully, not all your work was done in class because this shows a lack of passion.

2.Competance: They want to see work done from visual visualization. Simply copying other work is not appreciated.

1. Understanding of the college and the major: Admission’s folks want people to do some preliminary investigation in both the college and your proposed major. At the least, read over their web site for the art department and for the major. Going into an interviewing knowing little about the school is very unprofessional and will clearly work against you.

4.Showing interest in other academic pursuits too: Most accredited art programs, especially the tougher schools, require a fair amount of liberal arts courses. In addition, good applied artists need some decent writing skills, especially for adverstising design, communication design. At the least, don’t tell them that you hate anything that isn’t art. Show that you have an open mind. If you are a decent writer, somehow bring that into the conversation without bragging. If you are into studio art such as photography, painting, it would be great if you discussed any sales that you made or any showings that you participated in.

1. Dress and act professionally and use common sense. This is a great overall suggestion. Wear business casual clothing. Don’t insult the interviewer. LISTEN very carefully to their questions and watch their response to your answers in case there needs further clarification. Don’t do any annoying habits such as shaking legs, picking nose etc. Use common sense.

Also, don’t be too freaked out about cultural differences. These people know you’re British, so they can expect you to have a somewhat different perspective (this may also be one reason why they’re interested in you). ID is global, and a range of experiences and viewpoints is enriching to all involved. Don’t be afraid to speak about your British take on something and, if there is a misunderstanding, be open to discussing it.

If there is one thing that coastal Americans love, it is all things non-American. Play up your Euro perspective in the project and make it a strength would be my advice.