The Art Institute.

I came to the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale in good faith. With downsizing, firing of professors and general lack of learning I find myself at a cross roads. I cannot transfer out of the schools because no other school will except my credits. (Already tried) Are there any other recommended locations I could try? i.e Oregon, California or Pittsburgh?

I have a policy of “Art Institute graduates need not apply.” Try a real school.

Great insight into my question but not an answer.

I’ve not heard of any of the Art Institutes having good ID graduates, doesn’t mean they arent out there. but you’d be on your own to find it. Fla doesn’t give you any real options other than a new career path.

Yes I realize they are too far and too few. I am too far in to start over but I am thinking the California locations would offer a better education. I have to try somewhere since they will not release my credits for transfer.

Chief,

The Art Institutes have a well-deserved reputation for graduating students who are uncompetitive; this is especially true of their ID grads. I am being diplomatic and generous in this description (Scrotum, above, delivers the hard truth). It is an incredible disservice to thier students, as your message indicates you’ve realized.

I seriously doubt you will find the other AI locations different enough to warrant staying in the system. You should get out now while you are experiencing your moment of clarity (terrible as it is). Use the work you’ve completed, along with the excellent help you can find here on the boards, to secure a position in a program where you will get great training, and will prepare you to be a competitive candidate for an entry-level ID position.

You may not be able to transfer credits, but every course you take in a good ID program (there are myriad discussion strings on schools and their relative strengths and merits here on the Core boards - check 'em out) will be a breath of fresh air, a new and valuable experience from which to extract great skills and information. You won’t be “repeating” work, you’ll be doing it well for the first time, and that will be immensely satisfying (after you put aside the angst of starting again - which is crucial).

Since you’re willing to move, you have a lot of possibilities before you; hard work lies ahead, but so do the possibilities of doing something great (finally!).

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I just have to face the fact that I have wasted 2 years here and that is the worst part. I am not getting any younger. I have applied to Appalachian State University in North Carolina for hopes that my home state will take any amount of pity and except me but, at this point I will take what I can get in stride.