Tesla Hires Von Holzhausen

Thought this was interesting:
From left lane news.com

Tesla Motors is best known for its revolutionary all-electric Roadster, but the California-based upstart automaker will likely be known for its incredible vehicle designs in just a few years. That’s because Tesla has managed to snag designer Franz von Holzhausen away from Mazda.

Even if you’re not familiar with von Holzhausen, you’re familiar with his work. Most recently von Holzhausen held the position of Director of Design at Mazda’s R&D Design Center in Irvine, California where he oversaw the design of all of Mazda’s North American vehicles –- including production and concept vehicles — according to Car Design News. Von Holzhausen created the Nagare and Furai concepts, and played a key role in the development of the Ryuga, Hakaze and Taiki concepts.
Von Holzhausen’s resume also includes stints at Volkswagen and General Motors. During his time at VW, Holzhausen worked on the Concept One and Microbus concepts and he was also responsible for the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky while at GM.
The acquisition of Holzhausen shows that Tesla is getting serious about the designs of its future lineup. While Tesla already has its electric Roadster on the market, it was completely designed by Lotus.

Wow, that is big news. Now it is a question of how long they can keep the money flowing. This could end like DeLorean.

Good catch too. How the hell did they convince this guy?

Didn’t they also get some high end Ford exec?

I suppose if you’re a high end enough name like that you’ve got enough reserve cash and street cred to jump ship and if things go south you won’t be looking for a new job for very long.

I can see it being a great opportunity, especially with his organic/nature kind of styling. Goes well with the whole green-car revolution theme.

I think that companies like Tesla, Aptera, and Fisker are just exciting, with a lot of possibilities. I think designers are realizing that a lot of those possibilities are not present at large manufacturers with huge infrastructures and obligations.

I agree. I think it’s probably a similar appeal that brought Peter Schreyer to Kia. Newer companies with no or few preconceived design or style notions. They really have the freedom to experiment with the designs and go in directions that would not be possible at a larger more established brands, which has got to be an appealing pull.

I am excited to see what these new companies will produce. If they start pushing the limits of conventional design, they may raise the bar and bring everyone else along with them.

It’s almost like being Bangle. Imagine if someone replaced him now. All the “Flame” haters would shout in joy. Until someone came in and changed the styling AGAIN. Then they’d boo him too.

The companys with nothing to lose have everything to gain.

I think that companies like Tesla, Aptera, and Fisker are just exciting, with a lot of possibilities. I think designers are realizing that a lot of those possibilities are not present at large manufacturers with huge infrastructures and obligations.

“Boutique” car brands are very exciting to me, too. They know they aren’t going to sell 500,000 units a year and they don’t care. They’re pushing the limits of technology, and now with von Holzhausen on board they can push the limits of design. Mazdas recent concepts have been very intriguing, and I’m interested in seeing where he goes with Tesla.

Very cool.

This is very good news thanks for posting!

I agree that smaller auto makers have much more freedom to design. Im not worried about it going Delorean though. I would be more afraid it went all SMART car on us.
If only the swatch group had not let Daimler Chrysler butcher their design principles, take over and turn a truly great project into the SMART we could have had much more broken ground for innovative architecture vehicles. (the SMART is Daimler Chrysler’s Delorean I think, seemly good idea that bombed, but they have more reason to keep it alive and could afford 3 billion dollars in losses)

Surely these guys have the momentum though to avoid large automakers and their corporate driven lust for green market presence. This will be a winner i think.
With this and Gordon Murray’s T.25 project im feeling pretty good about the future of personal transport.

Are you comparing Smart to Delorean?

As far as I can tell the Smart car is a sucess, not a flop. I think the Smart is very influential in showing America that small cars can be cool again. :open_mouth:

“Tesla just snaged Franz von Holzhausen”… what instrument does he play?

(sorry, I couldn’t stop myself from posting this!)

GURU