Tesla CyberTruck Design Review: Elon has balls of steel

Well I certainly feel a bit peevish when people purportedly knowledgeable about design make ridiculous statements without any hint of it being meant humourously.
And really, if referencing LA Story doesn’t make a humorous point about LA pretty obvious then something is wrong.
But if that’s the standard here I’ll simply not bother to visit so often.

What statements do you feel are ridiculous that have not been clarified?

I think this post is a great representation of the trollish fanboyism that surrounds things like this. When someone disagrees with the blatant fanning out they are “purportedly knowledgable” and “ridiculous”. That isn’t how we do it here.

Spot-on with the MOQs! Holy crap.

Never one to shy away from controversy, local Minneapolis brewer Modist has unveiled their latest can:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5-4RuRFrWk/?igshid=1csmfpsujof8a

You don’t park a Cybertruck in a garage. You park it in a Cybunker.

OMG what was that show??

Megaforce

Good gravy. Thank you. All the old 1982 memories flooding back. My mom prob sold the toys at the church garage sale. Otherwise I might have designed the cyber-whatsit.

This is also angular and revolutionary and probably a lot more capable. Maybe less touchscreens, and a lot more moneys.

Quick aside / follow up. The Tesla is supposedly made of SS 301. 301 is a fairly common variety of stainless. 304 was invented in 1924, I imagine that 301 is a similar vintage. It has a bit more carbon, but less chromium and nickel than 304. That means it’s less corrosion resistant, but has a higher strength. Interestingly, the DeLorean was 304.

Why make a car out of it? Who knows.

Conversation with Sandy Munro:

1978 sketch from Joe Johnston for a Stormtrooper transport… never really saw myself as a Stormtrooper…

Peter Stevens, who designed the McLaren F1, posted a design review of the CyberTruck today on his FaceBook page:

“So much has been written about the Tesla Cyber Truck by both critics and disciples of Elon Musk. The advantage of designing a pick-up truck in the US is that very few of the legislative regulations for cars apply to trucks. Something weighing just short of 3.5 tonnes does not need to be crash tested or have pedestrian safety as a consideration. With an interior that looks to be straight out of a late 70s low cost American sedan, aerodynamics copied from a house brick, and the looks of a folded card model cut out of the back of a cornflakes box by a ten year old kid, there is little to like about this latest Tesla irrelevance.

Surprisingly Tesla’s chief designer, Franz von Holzhausen was the one who hit the stainless steel body with a sledgehammer (should we read anything into this?), threw steel balls at the windows and broke them. Tesla say that the shape comes from the unyielding nature of the body material – most peoples kitchens are filled with pressed stainless cooking pots, no problem with curved surfaces there! They also say that up to 45 extra miles of range is available from the solar panel which covers the load space. A 17 square foot (or 1.6 square meters) solar panel, in ideal circumstances, produces around 260 watts; that’s three light bulbs. The Cyber Truck cargo cover is probably about 6 foot x 6 foot, 36 square foot – 500 watts. The truck is said to have a range of 250 miles from a 125kWh battery so you might just about get an extra mile. It’s like a mathematician friend says, “tell me the result you want to see and I’ll show you how to do the maths to prove it”, why are Tesla always so ready to make this stuff up.

What concerns me is that young design students might be swept up in the Tesla hype and think that this is the new design direction that they have all been hoping for, and apply this crude form language to every new project. There is a very big difference between ‘simple design’ and ‘simplistic design’, this is an unsophisticated version of the second. There is no passion in the design, only a desire to be controversial, in a way that can look like Tesla are mocking the viewer; arrogant and short lived superficiality.”

+1 Peter Stevens!

That’s a perfect well informed review. Particularly the last paragraph on the designs perceived future influence. Only time will tell…

Or COBRA. Everyone hated COBRA. Except for Storm Shadow, he was that cool ninja.

I’m actually quite surprised that the USA doesn’t have standard regulations on trucks. Why wouldn’t it need to satisfy crash testing or pedestrian safety? That’s ridiculous.

301 is slightly cheaper because it has less chromium and nickel. There’s a chance that it’s easier to form and process because it isn’t a hard, but I’m just guessing.

Agreed. I wonder how long hype and controversy can continue in influencing their success.

Definitely had a COBRA H.I.S.S.!!