Target designers

that is also IKEAS idea. If your chiar breaks in a year who cares you only paid 8 dollars for it.

I haven’t met many designers that don’t agree that everyone is entitled to good, inexpensive, well-designed products.

Now you have, pleased to meet you. I happen to be a designer who doesn’t think that people are “entitled” to much of anything.

If the unwashed masses care only about price and quantity (read: “How much crap can I buy for the least amount of money?”), guess what, design is no longer a driving factor, or at least not as much of one as engineering and manufacturing. That totally sucks for us as designers, but thats the very culture of unmitigated consumerism that our forbears in ID started and we’ve perpetuated. Our material appetite is so out of control that the only way to satiate it is to keep producing more for less money. That means cutting some corners in the product development process (design takes a huge hit as well as manufacturing being outsourced)

Although target is seen as trying to keep the american consumer focused on design, it is still just another Wal-Mart. It’s just comes in prettier packaging…

I wouldn’t blame consumers for the current problem of wasteful production - it’s a problem never before seen in history, brought about by standard economic forces.

Well, for people lilke me I do care about my money. Whether it’s $8 or $80 or $800 ( you get my point) you can (if you’re knowledgeable and smart) you can grow that $8 that you don’t care about exponentially.

Secondly, I have never bought anything from IKEA that break. So I have to disagree with you on that one. Bottom line is that people should learn how to shop so they don’t waste their $8. :wink:

Well i wasn’t saying IKEA stuff breaks but if it does then it’s no big deal. Actually IKEA stuff breaks a lot. They do not have to go through federal testing because their stuff is sold by them and not through other stores. They have there own vendors that supply them. They do not deal with outside vendors. Thus no need for the “drop test”

you can’t break it if you can’t get it together in the first place

0 process control

bottom line is
target want to be as big as walmart…which means maybe never. so the only way they can compete is with better looking crap. but it is still crap sometime. i am not saying all the stuff is bad…i like some of the cloth stuff and their houseware is preety good…but i bought a few stuff in there like some of the cd players and their own line of funitures…that was crap. but it’s good looking crap depending on who is buying. to me when i go in there i only get stuff i need and most of the time i dont realy care what it looks like unless if i was buying it to gave to someone else then i would care.

same with ikea. i remenber when i was a kid the only ikea store was on the border of penn and Nj. my parents saved up enough money every few month to buy stuff there and haul it back to boston and i had to help my dad put it together. it was cool and good design with good quility…now today it is all globalized and the stuff is not as well made and i did break a lot of the stuff i bought from ikea. 3 chairs and 2 coffe tables are not dead…

here is the reality for all you young designers…
for a company like target they rely heavly not on designer but on product developer, line builders and sourceing agents. when their bottom line gets hit the designers are always the first to get laid off.
reason being developer , sourceing agents make the stuff happen and able to produce it that is why they are more valueable to the company. where as a designer is good for designing the product and coming out with idea but after that they are out of the loop. and the sourceing agent would have their own people that can do design as well. so a lot of the time in house designer get axed. when they get more money they hire more later.

anyway who cares what target or walmart or ikea do with designs. it is all about what message they want to carry to the customer and to hold the line in their own branding structure and what it means to their bottom line.