Taping lectures...

I’m taking this liberal arts class and I use a recorder to tape the lecture because I can’t catch everything the instructor says. Then one day, he saw another student taping his lecture and told him that he doesn’t allow that. The instructor did not give any reason.

So I am just going to keep my recorder under the desk or something.

What exactly could be the reason why an instructor don’t welcome students taping lectures? Something to hide?

Not sure.

But it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permision. If he catches you, make sure to explain it is so that you can catch everything he says, if you put it in a flattering manner, I doubt he will ban you from doing it.

If he does though, I’d email the dean to see what school policy is on this.

take his pictures too.

also ask for his resume.

With the competition for being published instructors consider their lectures to be intelectual property, just like products. They are either getting ready to write a book and don’t want others to print their ideas or they are worried that their lectures will used by other schools.

Kind of similar to products getting ripped off.

Timf

even a liberal arts lecturer in an Art School?

Yeah, they consider it under the same vein as tape recording a concert, and it’s something they can later publish and make money off of. When I was in art history the lecturer saw the tiny red light from somebody’s recorder all the way in the back of the auditorium. Made a whole scene and fuss about it. If I remember correctly he kicked the guy out or made him surrender it, something like that.

MC- guess it’s time to get a little microphone for your recorder. I mean as long as you are not selling the tapes to other students… not to give you any ideas.

I use a I/C recorder, so it shouldn’t be a problem. Seriously, he doesn’t write the important points on the board, nor does he repeat himself. I don’t know 90% of the names he mentions. All I can do is record what he says and try to take notes in class, then fill in the rest by doing some research.

He’s also the kind of instructor that doesn’t slow down for any student. My friend took his class last semester, missed the final exam, and was never allowed to take it.

I’d say screw it and record it. I think they forget that for some people, english isn’t their native tongue and recording and translating later is the only way for them to learn. And some people just dont’ remember things from hearing, but have to write it down later so they can “see” it to remember. Cover up any visible lights and don’t go passing out the tapes!

in all honesty, why the hell do you need to record lectures? pay attention and take notes.

maybe i was just too smart

damn tech itchy kids these days.

i have the technology, therefore i must use it.

Audio recorders are often not good enough for this, especially if others are rustling papers or talking nearby.

At lectures, I have no problem taking digital pictures of the slides or the whiteboard notes. Just do it without the flash. A high zoom camera works great for this, like my Oly 730. That leaves me to write down the stuff I can’t photograph.

Make yourself as un-noticeable as possible, but if he asks you to stop. Ask him (in front of the whole class) if the material presented is going to be tested to pass the course. Since it will be, then claim that you have a right to make a record of it, either in handwritten notes or in some other form. What if you had carpal tunnel… how then would you take notes?

Besides, that’s why you’ve paid tuition to get the knowledge and wisdom from his brain into yours.

If only I had this kind of technology when I was at school…

:)ensen.

The class room is small and the lecturer is loud, so the result is pretty good actually.

I would agree with the above statement that it is your right to make some record of the class be it in writing or recorded.

I know there was a big intellectual property problem at my school because some of the copy shops on campus had people sit in on classes, record the class, transcribe the lecture then sell the lecture notes at a profit with no cut for the prof. In that situtation I can understand not wanting someone else to be profitting from your work with no compensation, but this does not seemt o be the case.

That could be a problem if the rumor I heard was true, that my old school recycled the art history lectures / exams every 5-6 yrs. Taping would make cheating very easy in that case.

If schools recycle test questions, then the lecture material needs also be repetitive.

:)ensen.