take it or hold on?

I am about to graduate and have a ‘talk’ about a possible job coming up. The job isnt exactly my ideal design area but is related and could get me into the market. I am applying all over the place for different jobs but am unlikely to hear about the others before this one.

Was wondering how many differnt jobs people took after graduating before they got into their ideal field. eg, maybe you designed cutlery but want to do kettles etc.

Should I hold out or take what im given?

I turned down the first job I was offered when I graduated… 2 months later the stock market crashed. It took me 2 years to find a job in my field… but I did get the job/industry I wanted.

Its rough but don’t be so quick to turn it down. You will learn something at every job. Don’t stay too long if that isn’t what you want to do. 1-2 years is about right.

I don’t think anyone likes their first job they get after graduating, most likely it’s more like a springboard or stepping stone.

Take it but it’s just “FOR NOW”. In the mean time it’ll give you a chance to improve your folio and look on the side while making money.

I took this production artist job right after graduation, it was completely technical and had nothing to do with design, I was dying inside. But I kept looking for jobs, I probably sent out a query letter every day, went to interviews during my lunch hour and I was out of there in 10 months.

Now I’m in a good place. I look back now and I don’t really regret the production job as it sharpened my tech skills.

Don’t worry it’ll get better soon, but you have to put in the effort and don’t get lazy just because you have a steady pay check coming in.

How confident are you - that you’ll land a job you want?

I would suggest… amping up your portfolio -now- while you in your job search. I didn’t take my first offer - and after a few weeks of searching I got an awesome job - and I’m really glad I didn’t go with any of my first few offers.

Sometimes it’s better to wait… However, I have had my share of taking jobs I haven’t wanted during my early internship experiences…

Remember - this is a full time position… not a three month excursion… Get something you’re happy with - now… even if you’re a recent grad. (like myself)

If it’s going to be a probation period to see how you fit into the company, it may actually do you good. I think it’s fair for both sides to give each other a trial period before you committe to each other. There’s nothing to lose. So maybe you can talk about such condition with the company.

Pick up a newspaper and read the Money/Business section, read up on world politics, get knowledgable about what’s going on in the US and abroad, if you’re attentive you’ll realize pretty quickly that things aren’t all peachy the past 4 years. If you get an offer, BY ALL MEANS take it. It might not be your specialty or you’re afraid to pigeonhole yourself, but it’s experience, you will walk away from it someday with something you can apply in the future, to something that you really want to do.

If it’s Kohler, run away and never look back.

What’s wrong with Kohler? One of my classmates ended up getting a nice job there a few years after he interned. Seems like a nice place to me. What are the other options? Delta? Moen? Phister?

shut up cow…go back to china…

How many different jobs? two and still counting. When I graduated I was able to keep going on a sweet internship but then two months later I was out on the street and waiting tables. Not only did the economy suck but Im in a city that has far more architecture firms than traditional ID shops and with several good architecture schools in the area those jobs fill up fast.

I would actually think about taking whatever you can get if you have little or no experience. Even if the job sucks it will at the very least teach you about what you don’t like to do and what kind of company you don’t want to work for. Then when you interview you can ask some smart questions about how they operate so you don’t fall into the same mistake twice.

It is also statistically more advantageous to get a job when you already have one. So while your bad job pays the rent you can get your work together, polish up your school projects, work on some independant stuff, etc.

You can also take a crappy job under the agreement that it will be contract work and NOT standard fulltime employment. You can do it for three, four, six, however many months you want and then renew it as needed. The risk is that things if things get slow then they can dump you at the end of the contract, but hey if the economy is bad that can happen no matter what arrangement you have. The upside is that when you talk to your next employer and they see a six month job on your resume, it doesn’t look like job hopping because it was for contract. “Why did you leave - It was a six month contract that ended” versus “It sucked and I wanted out”.