tada - The Future Toilet Concept

Pleased to introduce my imagination toilet, tada. This floor standing toilet is able to quickly check your daily urine, then tell about your body status, and suggest healthy diets. Using compressed air flush to save water and hygiene operation.
Takes inspiration from the shape of a stone and based on DIY model that wired up a wall hung toilet with a set of sensors and solenoid valves.

tada is integrated several tanks inside the body, exploiting redundant spaces to stores high pressure compressed air, water and equipment.

The system measures urine parameters locally and then send results directly to smartphone application or via email with healthy tips. In case of inconsistent result, the system may ask user several questions regarding to foods, beverages and pills they have used, it might affect to urine, to ensure before postpone tips or send data to dedicated personal doctor.

For more, please visit my website: https://phuocnguyen.design/works#/tada/

Hope you guys like this…

So your urine will splash all over the underside of your legs. Nice.

I actually think there would be some merit to the testing aspect. Wouldn’t having the probe below the water level mean that any urine being tested is significantly diluted?

What happens when someone takes a crap too far forwards/backwards? How does the compressed air clean the bowl without liquid?

@MK19, you should probably try this thing out… :v
@AndyMc, the results are not significantly in our very first prototype because of the water in the bowl. So we use compressed air additionally. However the concept is not able to works without water, still need a small amount of water.

Hi,

Interesting concept! What will the sensor be able to detect? Protein levels, enzymes, renal stone crystal fragments?
Because the question is, how smart do we need to be and how smart do we need the toilet to be to complement/compensate… as we get older we learn by experience too :slight_smile:

Sensor systems are not to be underestimated - they can make or break an innovation and placement is one of the key factors. Also consider hysteresis effects - previous measurements may affect current ones.

I like the shape, it’s perfect. Except that there is the unavoidable seam and misalignments due to the hinge. You would have to engineer this out very sharply to make this work visually. I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m saying you need to test it with a 1:1 prototype -treat it like a car design project. Also you will need to subtly convey how to interact with it - maybe a subtle recess on the front to lift up the lid - if it’s not automatic. People also want to see where the sensors are to see where they can make contact with the system.

I like the compressed air technology, trains in the Netherlands here have it as well - it’s explosive but efficient! Then it visibly lands through a hole straight down on the tracks, fantastic.

@ralphzoontjens,

Hi. Thanks for you comments.

Firstly, we approached smart function for prototype via sensors bundle (fiber color, pH, conductivity, and ion sensors). Due to limitation of the electronic sensor technology, we haven’t got better results eventually with high-end and costly sensors. However, there are several (big) guys investigating this methodology… We believe it is not effective as they promoted.
We found our own way to checking urine more reliable and effective. But it still need time to developing and testing on site.

Yes. the shape of this concept is a bit hard to manufacturing without seamless til we have full scale model in hand.

And about the compressed air, conceptually, tada is a mini toilet, so VIAIR small compressors are the best choice.

I helped get a toilet into production 6~7 years ago. A couple things you should know about:

1. https://www.map-testing.com/ This is an organization that has a standard to measure flushing power. It was respected in the industry. Their testing standards might give you some ideas on how to qualify your design.

2. You should look at how a toilet is installed. I think it’s one of the few home fittings that is fairly standard around the world. Right now, it’s not clear how you are holding the toilet in place and that’s a tough challenge.

1. Porcelain is the most common toilet material because of its durability, chemical resistance and cleanliness. I’m not sure what you are using, but you need to look into porcelain production. The tolerances are not very good and you’ll need radius everywhere.

Hi @Raymond Jepson. Thanks!

1. I’ll keep Map Testing in my list in case of tada go in to production.
  2. There are several ways to install toilet, as in the video guide, the other is using white cement and/or silicon glue. This is very popular in my country.
  3. Definitely porcelain is the most important in toilet industry. I’ll check up the full scale model if needed any changes.