Tablet PC worth it?

What do you think of Tablet PCs?

• Freakin’ Sweet! You gotta get one!
  • Helpful, but not essential.
  • Not really that helpful, but fun nonetheless.
  • Danger Will Robinson! Avoid tablets!

0 voters

Just wondering. I’m hoping to transfer into some sort of ID program next year (more details about that here), and was wondering whether or not it would be worth it to purchase a tablet pc vs a regular desktop replacement laptop? My main issue with tablets right now is that they’re way underpowered. Ideally I’d like something with a nVidia Go 6800 or better, however, I would be willing to sacrifice that power if getting a tablet pc would really help me that much in an ID program.

So, what are your thoughts? Are tablet PCs really that good for ID, or would I be better off with something else? Is the tech ready or should I wait a few years for the technology to mature?

first of all, go find out how much work is done on computer in ur course. As in Drawings, Computer renderings, the ratio of such in your course studios.

Drawings on the pc will be a good tool with Tablet pc, though I have not owned one, but i have a tablet pen.

Computer rendering a.k.a 3D modelling, i use mouse mouse most of the time, desktop is more powerful these days in my view. I have never come across people using tablet for computer modelling. Maybe Drawing.

Well…its up to individual. Speak to your peers or senior doing in ID program. That would greatly help you to think through either a tablet pc, laptop or desktop would be a great buy.

I’m from Sydney, Australia, Recent graduate in ID.

Cheers