Syd Mead Interview

interesting.
check it out.

R

Syd Mead Aston Martin Shout outs.

Nice Video thanks for the link.

whooooaaaa…I have never seen a photo or video of Syd Mead.

Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different than what my mind had him looking like.

Okay everyone, this is a prime example why you shouldnt say “like” after every word…

is it me or did teh host sound like a dumbass

haha, i thought the same thing. was for some reason expecting a kinda crazy looking skinny guy like Kurt Vonnegut!

R

You thought he would wear a white leather overcoat with long white flowing hair like ross

I will say one thing, for a guy that is a futurist, he does look like he’s stuck in the 80s (fashion-wise).

Love this guy. Been a fan since early 90s. I bought an orginal Syd Mead sketch from ebay about six monthes ago. It’s the first piece of orginal artwork I have seen for sale by this guy. Had to get it!

Syd Mead gave a lecture at Brown University when I was at RISD in the late 90’s. I was also blown away by how he looked (he pretty much looked the same) but after thinking about it, I realized that was the cool thing. He was not some ridiculous caricature of what a “creative” looks like. He is a normal guy who loves what he does and will keep doing it until he can’t regardless. After the lecture I hopped a couple of ropes so I could get my "Studio 1 " book signed by Mr Mead and we talked for 5 or 10 minutes. Genuinely cool, normal guy who calls 'em likes he sees 'em. I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy. He does his thing and gets paid, and all of us benefit in the form of inspiration.

This guy graduated college 16 years before I was born, and he is still kicking ass. He’s the template.

This is what caught me off guard. I was 1/2 expecting Karim w/o the pink.

rkuchinsky: Thanks for sharing

That’s because Karim is 25% talent, 75% marketing.

Syd is 100% talent.

That’s because Karim is 25% talent, 75% marketing.

Syd is 100% talent.

100% on the money.

He dah, man and have successfully reinvented himself many times over.

Just goes to show that you can’t judge a book by its cover. If only more people in the world could figure that out.

The next part is up:

Enjoy!

He is a really interesting person to talk to. Oddly, if you call the number to order one of his books he is sometimes the one that answers the phone (or at least he used to) and he is very generous and candid about answering a couple questions.