Sustainable Design - an aximoron?

Sustainable Design - somehow it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and seems that the methodology is simply assauging designers guilt.

Bottom line is designers want to stay in a job and earn money, they produce desirable products which produce dissatifaction and generate consumption - consumption is not sustainable.

Simply put, the yearly sales figures for consumer products does not tally with the possible life cycle of those products - how many of you have a phone more than 5 yrs old or a car more than 10? - electric cars aren’t going to “save the planet”, reducing car miles is - electric cars simply maintain consumption.

Surely we should be simply talking about lowering impact of our consumption? Be a bit more honest about our intentions?

Sean

…did you mean “oxymoron”?

and to your point, yes. the problem is not that we consume but rather what, how and where.

BAM!

Hi Sean. You seem a little troll-ish, but what the hell, its lunch, I’ll play,

I recommend a wintergreen Tic-Tac.

I believe “Guilt-free design” was coined by someone at IDEO. So what? Are you Catholic and enjoy guilt?

Livin’ the dream my friend, livin’ the dream.

Incorrect. Have you been to Wal-Mart or lately? Please rethink why the consumption is generated.

Incorrect. Over-consumption is not sustainable. I’ve got 4+ billion years of consuming life to back me on that one.

Woohoo, less guilt for designers and engineers. Guilt can be shared with sales and marketing because they also contribute to producing dissatisfaction and generating over-consumption in less time of the possible life cycle of those products.

My land-line is 7 years old. My wireless is only 4 years old but going strong. My car is 12 years old. My commuting bicycle is 40 years old. What’s yer point?

Incorrect. Electric cars provide a means to transfer energy consumption from fossil fuels to wind/solar over the next 50(?) years. Oil won’t last forever and we can’t change overnight. You need a first step at some point.

Kind of vague. Lower it by how much? What is the end goal? What are the trade-offs when the impact is lowered?

Who is being dishonest? Post your source.

Correct.

Better that than a yuppy

\

Sustainable Design - somehow it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Another way to disguise the taste?

\

and seems that the methodology is simply assauging designers guilt.

I believe “Guilt-free design” was coined by someone at IDEO. So what?
Are you Catholic and enjoy guilt?

On this side of the pond we’re a little less tied done by all that old school religion, the yuppy religion with their fairtrade and ‘eco’ tourism is the new fight

Bottom line is designers want to stay in a job and earn money

Yeah, but it would be nice if my grand kids could have a bit ot the dream left over,

they produce desirable products which produce dissatifaction and generate consumption

Incorrect. Have you been to Wal-Mart or lately? Please rethink why the consumption is generated.

Incorrect. Consumption is the Brief from the overweight felines to maintain their profits. The new iphone creates dissatifaction with the old iphone and it is replaced, Tescos [our Walmart] sell people the economy version of the desirable. Consumption beyond subsistance would be minimal without the badvert generated dissatisfaction.

consumption is not sustainable.

Incorrect. Over-consumption is not sustainable. I’ve got 4+ billion years of consuming life to back me on that one.

Pedant

Simply put, the yearly sales figures for consumer products does not tally with the possible life cycle of those products

Woohoo, less guilt for designers and engineers. Guilt can be shared with sales and marketing because they also contribute to producing dissatisfaction and generating over-consumption in less time of the possible life cycle of those products.

Or you could simply put your head in the sand with the scientists who say they have no responsibility if their technologies end up in WMDs - we’re all in this together

how many of you have a phone more than 5 yrs old or a car more than 10?

My land-line is 7 years old. My wireless is only 4 years old but going strong. My car is 12 years old. My commuting bicycle is 40 years old. What’s yer point?

And I hope that gives you I nice warm glowwy, smug feeling being in such a tiny minority - on average people replace their mobile phones every 12-18 months [source - my mate who runs the local Orange shop]

electric cars aren’t going to “save the planet”, reducing car miles is - electric cars simply maintain consumption.

Incorrect. Electric cars provide a means to transfer energy consumption from fossil fuels to wind/solar over the next 50(?) years. Oil won’t last forever and we can’t change overnight. You need a first step at some point.

So the badverts do work - I presume these are the electric cars which grow on trees and aren’t manufactured in the same factory as the petrol cars and sold by the same companies who will make bloody sure Mr A.V.Ridge is replacing it every 3 or 4 years which run on electricity which gets into the batteries by osmosis and not through a massive energy infrastructure run by the car makers mate. Zero emmisions? which advertising house did that one come from

Surely we should be simply talking about lowering impact of our consumption?

Kind of vague. Lower it by how much? What is the end goal? What are the trade-offs when the impact is lowered?

Simply a different title for the methodology - Low Impact Design rather than Sustainable Design.

Be a bit more honest about our intentions?

This isn’t an academic discussion - attaching the term Sustainable Design to a mass consumption, rapid replacement product is disingenuous because the current consumption trends cancel out all those strategies.

Sean

Correct.

How do you know?

Mildred

Better that than a yuppy
Well played sir. You are still troll-ish but I like it. It makes you interesting.

Sustainable Design - somehow it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Another way to disguise the taste?
A touch of home then, Altoids?

and seems that the methodology is simply assauging designers guilt.
I believe “Guilt-free design” was coined by someone at IDEO. So what?
Are you Catholic and enjoy guilt?
On this side of the pond we’re a little less tied done by all that old school religion, the yuppy religion with their fairtrade and ‘eco’ tourism is the new fight
Consider yourself lucky, everyday I am knee-deep with the stupid the fundies make.

Bottom line is designers want to stay in a job and earn money
Yeah, but it would be nice if my grand kids could have a bit ot the dream left over,
So not every designer has a make money bottom line? Make up your mind.

they produce desirable products which produce dissatifaction and generate consumption
Incorrect. Consumption is the Brief from the overweight felines to maintain their profits. The new iphone creates dissatifaction with the old iphone and it is replaced, Tescos [our Walmart] sell people the economy version of the desirable. Consumption beyond subsistance would be minimal without the badvert generated dissatisfaction.
Yer getting there. Ever consider the consumer may have some say?

consumption is not sustainable.
Pedant
Incorrect. This is the crux. You have to define sustainable. If you don’t you will have cynics claiming you are giving it only lip-service on one end and wingnuts on the other saying there is no problem. Without evidence, you will have a pissing match larger than this one.

Simply put, the yearly sales figures for consumer products does not tally with the possible life cycle of those products

Or you could simply put your head in the sand with the scientists who say they have no responsibility if their technologies end up in WMDs - we’re all in this together
Well duh. I guess you finally get my point.

how many of you have a phone more than 5 yrs old or a car more than 10?
And I hope that gives you I nice warm glowwy, smug feeling being in such a tiny minority - on average people replace their mobile phones every 12-18 months [source - my mate who runs the local Orange shop]
Incorrect. My phones and car provide the function I desire. No warm and fuzzy. They are just products. I get warm, fuzzy and smug about my kids. And if that bothers you, tough sh!t. I will admit I like the bike, it is a sweet, all chrome Torpado. You can’t buy one like that anymore (mostly due to how toxic chroming is). But you are confusing me. First you bash those who turnover their stuff too fast, then you bash people who don’t. Which is it? Did you forget your meds this morning?

electric cars aren’t going to “save the planet”, reducing car miles is - electric cars simply maintain consumption.
So the badverts do work - I presume these are the electric cars which grow on trees and aren’t manufactured in the same factory as the petrol cars and sold by the same companies who will make bloody sure Mr A.V.Ridge is replacing it every 3 or 4 years which run on electricity which gets into the batteries by osmosis and not through a massive energy infrastructure run by the car makers mate. Zero emmisions? which advertising house did that one come from
Again, define sustainable. Do you espouse living in caves? If you are a luddite, cool. Move to Montana, build a shack, take you manual typewriter and work on the manifesto. But for the rest of us, it is stoopid to regress. It is also stoopid to think we can wave a wand to change things instantly.

Surely we should be simply talking about lowering impact of our consumption?
Simply a different title for the methodology - Low Impact Design rather than Sustainable Design.
So you’ve been pissing about semantics all this time?

Be a bit more honest about our intentions?
This isn’t an academic discussion - attaching the term Sustainable Design to a mass consumption, rapid replacement product is disingenuous because the current consumption trends cancel out all those strategies.
Not if you do the academics. Define sustainable. Provide evidence. Have accreditation. Show outcomes.

Sean
Correct.
How do you know?
I’m start like that.

Mildred
Incorrect.

This discussion reminds me of a class mate who went on a diatribe one day about how farming is evil and everyone should move into the woods and eat wild mushrooms.

He dropped out and disappeared.

This discussion reminds me of Upton Sinclair’s favorite quote,
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.”

Sustainability of a product. Lengthen (sustain) its lifetime, usage period, usefulness? Aximoron isn’t a word, unless it’s some kind of hybrid between accident and moron, but that wouldn’t make sense and be just plain stupid wouldn’t it?

Don’t design to be sustainable, it’s such a new and vague term to use. It’s like saying design to fit some confused and almost contradictory criteria. If you want something to be better than it used to be, Design to be Better. How about that, eh? You should know what better entails? Safer, more efficient, cheaper, better looking, more ergonomic, less waste, more love etc etc.

Move away from a sustainable mind-set, cradle to cradle is great inspiration but don’t try and model your life and business on it. Try design for emotion, you can really get it going that way.

What do I know, I’m a student.

I think its a great point sean, on the lower levels design for desirability and accessibility equates for attainable things that people want more of.

but that’s if we focusing on preconceived products.

i think the real future of design is applying the design process to the table earlier. as long as we stay stuck down the line from marketers that are directing what we should design then we’re not offering our skills as designers and we’re just feeding the beast. that’s how we become stylist.

right on ‘trybfore’, i think what sean’s talking about is the negative affects of a buzzword like ‘sustainable’ on design. it’s quickly becoming diluted and is turning into a synonym for simpler words like ‘recyclable’ and ‘low impact’ that we already had. i think sustainability is a bit bigger.

cradle to cradle design is awesome. but maybe if we can get involved in looking at the cradle to cradle product’s purpose and place then we can start to make design sustainable.

Ha! I would usually add ‘quoted for truth’, but im sure someone will jump in with how “we as a profession… feel good spiel here”.