surface freeform Creo 1.0

anyone seen the new Creo 1.0 Pro/E tools for surfacing? This is some cool shit.

http://proetools.com/courses/pro-surface/prosurface-level-10surface-freestyle-creo-sub-d-modeling

Agreed. Good development seeing SDS getting taken more and more seriously to CAD vendors. So we’ve got Dassault’s Imagine and Shape and now… Creo Freeform? We need moar!! :smiley:

Im eager to play with the Sub’d tools in Catia. Ive used those tools in Maya for 10+ years now.

I tried the Freestyle module recently, spending about 10 minutes on it with a client who was putting Creo Parametric through its paces. The good thing is that it is so easy to use. Shapes just grow naturally, and soon you’ll be making the kinds of things that take hours to do with the old curve and boundary blend methods. The result is a surface quilt which is very useful for downstream use. The bad thing is that you can’t bring anything into it… you can only start from primitives within the module. That’s why they show jpeg image backgrounds in the demos, those are your guide. There aren’t any dimensions on the primitives either. That pretty much sums up this module, powerful yet primitive.

I created this Youtube video showing off the new Sub’d PTC calls freestyle tools inside Creo 1.0 Creo 1.0 - Bicycle Bottom End Bracket | Design Engine using Creo Freestyle - YouTube < I’m created some 10 videos this week with respect to Pro/E training. I’m still perfecting the sound etc… to be easy on me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/designengineeducatio/videos < One Design Engine Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/bbrejcha/videos < My personal youtube channel where I mix up motorcycle race videos with Training videos. Although the top video is a sheetmetal part I think Industrial designers will still get a good idea on how Pro/ENGINEER’s newest software works esp if they already know SolidWorks.

Does this replace ISDX and the ‘Surface’ feature? I did a pretty complex bike frame (couple years ago) all in Wildfire 2, using the Surface tool a lot. Loved it, esp compared to Solidworks lack of similar tools.

Bart,

I have tried some of these tools for real world applications and I am skeptical of these superfast, supereasy sub-division tools. Perhaps you can lessen my pessimism.

T-Spline falls into this category for me, and after watching your video, Creo freestyle seems like this is the same sort of tool. Pardon the analogy, but it seems like this tool is to Nurbs, as Playdoh is to Chavant clay. Hard to hold a precise edge, hard to get a tight surface extending across boundaries, hard to get interplay between different structures. Further, easy to use for beginners, non-toxic, makes a nice change.

The implication on sale here is that: if you can get so far in just five minutes, if you spent a few hours you could have an amazing piece of work. However, the structure of the tools and the control over the surfaces seems to be a few steps removed from what is possible with full surface control. To approach the actual geometry of a sculpted modeled object the time curve and complexity grow logarithmically. The resulting “quilt” of surfaces has no flow, no grain, no underlying unification.

You can make things that quickly “look like” real organic things, but actually modeling a real object, like a bike helmet, would be near impossible.

Am I mistaken in my perception?

Shaw,

You can build very precisely using Sub-D but it is a completely different mindset in going about modeling shapes in that the design is not defined by the “style edges” like in conventional surface modeling, but rather the polar opposite: by the surfaces (faces) and then further refinement (sub-divide) of the face/s to get more and more “definition” into the form. It is a very hard mental hurdle for most designers because it actually requires more forth-thought into the topology of the model than does conventional curve to surface modeling.

Regards

Mark

Yes. The Sub’d workflow is something that you have to discover, learn then practice to be good at. Just like anything.

Works well with the ISDX tools. Works well with Solids. Works well with other surfacing functions you may have discovered. I’m all about helping people discover a workflow they may not have stumbled upon yet. Which is why I pushed 15 years ago to be an expert at Surfacing. Then I learned Alias. Then Maya.

Everything I learn potentially changes the way I think. I’ve been using the Sub’D tools in Maya for years as the Maya instructors at Design engine have been teaching game designers and product designers sub’d tools for over 10 years. I’ve been watching them build their giraffe tutorial and bike frame tutorial for years.

Mark: Maybe the Catia Sub’D tool is more mature? Any chance we at design engine can start teaching Catia. I would love to get my hands on 3 month license of Catia and build some videos. I’m building SolidWorks demos next week while Im in denver teaching classes.