Surface Book, what do you think?

I wonder how many other Surface Book owners have the same issue with the battery. Microsoft wants $600 for another replacement (mine has been rarely used, and the warranty has expired). I looked on youtube on how to replace the battery, and it doesn’t look so easy.

The Surface Book concept is actually pretty good, but I believe that the execution is terrible. Building a metal case, and then gluing the screen to the case is the kind of stuff I would expect from a $10 product, and not a $2500 one.

Anyway, I would be curious to know if Microsoft still gets repeat customers with the hardware they sell. My take is that with population growth, Microsoft couldn’t care less about repeat customers. What do you think?

Same can be said about Apple products, exactly. What do you think?

Personally, I am not an Apple user. It will not surprise me to learn that Microsoft has adopted Apple’s strategy when it comes to making products obsolete. Bottom line, whatever the brand, products should be serviceable (within reason). That is my opinion:)

I’m in the beginning stages of replacing the video card on a 2011 iMac that has valuable archived data on it. The inclusion of magnets into the screen attachment to the body is quite ingenious (and allows for the tight fit and finish tollerancing that Apple is famous for).

Much of the current right to repair meme is associated with people’s anger and who are not equipped with the right tools to open a computer let alone begin to disassemble for parts diagnosis and repair/replacement. There are a variety of solvents that weaken adhesives which are used to glue screens to chassis. It is all about having the right tools which are highly specialized, expensive and not typically in the average household repair shop. We can blame the Lego assembly model for this frustration (which is used to condition children to be spatially and tactile functional). Lego has its limits and they are far and wide in the realm of product design.

Well said designbreathing.

Personally, I wasn’t aware of any solvent that can weaken adhesives used to glue screens. Where would one find such product?

I am actually surprised that more people are not complaining about this whole screen situation. The way I see it, there are 3 main elements to a laptop: the screen, the keyboard, and the battery/ies (minus inner components). They should all be serviceable/replacable at either a resonable cost by a service center or by the user.

The screens and keyboards are the two components that are the most suceptible to damage, and for this reason alone, they should very easy to replace. I would imagine that the designers at Apple and Microsoft don’t have much of a say when it comes to the final product, or they simply don’t care of what happens of the product once it leaves the assembly line.

It will be interesting to see people’s reaction when cars are going to produced with wheels (rims) welded to the hub and it’s assembly or the batteries sealed into the monocoque chassis of the car. Interesting times indeed!