SureSling- Seeking advice on making rendering pop!

Hey everyone!

I’m currently designing a brace given to those with broken clavicles in pursuit of creating a better experience with the product as well as solving a handful of key issues. If anyone has any advice on this rendering in particular to hopefully give it the attention grabbing detail it needs that would be great!

Thanks!
Ryan

Ryan, don’t be afraid of contrast, also make sure you are rendering the overall form, and with larger brushes. It looks pretty good overall. I’m not quite clear on what material you are trying to simulate?

definitely some more contrast, the part that wraps around the bicep is not shaded properly to look like a cylinder, thats the part i notice most but i think it can be bumped up all over. Also as far as pure renderings go i think it always helps when there is more detail, whether it is stitching detail or part lines, etc. Im not saying to add unnecessary features to your design, but make sure whats supposed to be there is there, and make sure that you want a super clean look like that. I agree with Yo that im not sure what any of the materials are, if you want the grey area to be a mesh then alot more detail can be added, but im not sure what it is.

Thanks for the feedback, its sure to help. The material is Stomatex, a breathable neoprene sometimes used in orthopedic supports. Nike and some others have taken advantage of it for knee braces.

Darks darker, whites whiter.

change the color / saturation / brightness of the human, so there is more contrast between product and human.

use the Photoshop CS4 tool (maybe it was in CS3 as well?) to bend the material texture around the curves in the body, as the material wraps around objects, the check patterns will get smaller. I believe its called 3D mesh, but I forget the specific name, search for it in google.

you can also add a splash of bright color in the background, called a vignette. I usually just throw a brushstroke down, or you can do a solid block/square/rectangle of color.

add details of color at the wrist / right shoulder / left shoulder strap, where the logo would go. it appears you’ve made a spot on the wrist for a logo. just a spot of color here will make it pop

add some tasteful text in one of the corners - whether it be the product concept’s “name”, your signature, a date, drawing number

search coroflot for others with sketches that pop to you, replicate some of their methods

if there is any specific research / materials / innovations / features in the product, make a little line pointing them out and describing what they are. anything that is important that an average Joe wouldn’t know about. if it were a car rendering, you wouldn’t have call outs that say “engine” and “4 wheels”, since that is understood, but if the doors were closed, and they opened like gullwings, make a note (or sketch that they open like gullwings), or if the car was made from carbon and painted over - no one would know what material it is without the note.

Mike was unsure of your material choice, because it doesn’t read like the very specific Stomatex material you mentioned. not that it might not look like it, but for those who don’t know, they might read it as nylon, neoprene, cotton, polyester, carbon fiber, etc.

this is true, even if you dont have the newest photoshop you can do it in some of the older illustrator versions as envelope distort and just bring it back into PS.

envelope distort

there it is… that tool’s name always slips my mind. works like magic to give you renderings just that little bit extra detail for realism(ish).

Rendering is OK, but yes, a bit flat. The comments above I think cover that. The straight on view is also contributing. A more dynamic sketch perspective would help a lot. not exactly the same, but see the below example of a dynamic sketch (not mine).

R