Study Abroad

Currently looking at studying abroad. My main options are The Ecole de Design Nantes Atlantique, France, Osaka University of Arts in Osaka, Japan, The Bauhaus University in Weimar, Germany, Institute of European Design in Milan, Rome, Turin, Madrid and Barcelona. I am planning on going second semester next year (junior year). Is it worth it? Will I miss out on internship opportunities in the US. I am attending MIAD, and also could have the option of taking a semester at Art Center. I thought if I went to Art Center I could take advantage of an internship opportunity on the west coast. What are your thoughts?

I’m currently studying in germany- and not to be trite, but spending even a single semester in another country will completely broaden your view on design, theory, culture, life, etc.

In my opinion, no matter where you go the studios are going to be relatively the same… it’s all what you make of it. So maybe instead of nitpicking different schools, decide where you think you can grow the most as a designer on your own, so that you’re not necessarily relying on a schools reputation to get you by and make you better… hope that helps!! :slight_smile:

Its been awhile since I’ve posted again but I’ll probably being going to The Ecole de Design Nantes Atlantique, France next fall…does anybody know much about this school or could give me advice? I’m hoping to do some networking over there as well as get different views on design.

I know they have a big business school there, and obviously it’s nearby the coast and fairly easy to get to Paris. I think Packard Bell is located there too and might take interns …

It is more than worth it. It was one of the most amazing times of my life and I made some of the best friends I ever had. It’s an amazingly rich and resourceful experience, not only design wise, but life wise. I went to Gothenburg in Sweden, but it really depends what kind of experience you’re looking for. Some places are more relaxed and you get to travel more like Barcelona for example and other are pretty good schools like Nantes, where 2 of my friends went for there exchange. Really do it, internships can wait for sure.