Study Abroad - Brunel University & NABA

Hello all again! I’ve been inactive for a while now, but I have been reading some boards every so often. Now, it’s time for a little post to stir things up!

So here’s my current situation. I’m currently enrolled in San Francisco State University pursuing a graphic design, visual communications, and a marketing degree and I have about 1.5 years to go to pocket all three of these degrees. But, before I end my academic career, I think it would be a good idea to “unshelter” myself and check out what’s going on in the “real” world by going to school overseas, either at NABA in Italy or Brunel University in UK since I was practically born and raised in San Francisco. If you have any questions on this school, I’ll be more than happy to share. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Before I jump into the study abroad program without really knowing what I’m getting myself into, I’d just like to hear from anyone that is planning to go there, is going there, went there, lives there, or knows anything about the program, culture, places where I can go to get my materials, environment, etc. to give me a little new perspective. Sure, I’ve got websites, counselors, friends, and bookstores to keep me busy, but we’ve got all these wonderful people at CoreBoards who can offer some pointers.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions, information, should/shouldn’t-do’s would be greatly appreciated. So feel free and post up stuff! =P Thanks in advance to all!

:laughing:

Here are some links…

I have some opinons formed, but I’d like to hear them before I go ahead and make them biased for ya’lls to comment on

So would you be going to one of those schools for ANOTHER degree in graphics or communication design, or would you be going for ID.

If you are going for graphics, and you want to bust the bubble and check out the real world, you won’t find that at another school. You’ll have to get a job for that. The thing is that design is not really an academic thing, it is something learned best while doing, which is why most people say their first year in a real job is a whole other education. You can still get that first job far from home (though in the EU would be tough from the states, esp in graphics)

Now if you are going for another type of degree, like ID, by all means, leave the nest and try something new.