Student Portfolio

Hey folks,

I’ve finally managed to get my portfolio together in a way that I like. I’m currently in my 3rd yr here at Carleton U. in their ID program.

Just looking for some feedback from other designers.

Nice. Clean and simple.

On a technical note, try adding a valign=“top” inside the DIV tag.

The bottom of the image area kept getting cut off but there was space at the top of the page. It was annoying haveing to scroll down everytime the image loaded.

-J->

Nice Portfolio… clean look and finish…

Although I dont really want to use this buzzword, but process…

You really need to show more of how you thought through the ideas, and maybe even show some other ideas that you didnt end up using along with the final ideas, because many hiring managers are trying to figure out how you think. Not just if you can make something look pretty, but how you really worked through the problem through your sketches and models…

I think especially with your bike rack… it won an award! Thats great… but it really isnt apparent how you reached your final design, not to mention how it works was a little hard to find on the page… I would definately like to see some sketches on the piece of work… if page realty is an issue i wouldnt be afraid of tossing another one in there…

Its a different story with your vacuum cleaner though, it looks good, but your sketches page is a little jumbled and looks as though you didnt put as much thought into the organization as you could have…

So to sum it up, nice portfolio, nice website, nice sketches and photos, I just want to see a little more for some projects, and then a little more orginization on those vacuum sketches… just my $.02

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m working on scanning more sketches in (curse Windows to hell…cough OSX FTW!), so hopefully I can get more of that stuff up there.

ok :smiley: I’ve added a couple more pages. I’ve included a bunch more development and sketch work.

Great Job updating the portfolio…

I really like what you have added in there… the only problem is now that the stuff you put into your portfolio is much stronger than your sliding mp3 player project…

I would either put some sketches in there, or if you dont have any sketches do some sketches to make up for yoru illustrator rendering, which IMO is a little weak… possibly tweak that as well… your buttons mostly is what is bothering me…

You have them filled with a gradient, making them look pillowed… when they really would be a flat color, possibly a highlight on them, depending on where your light is coming from…

anyway… great job updating. I would go for one more revision of your mp3 player page/project and then i think your portfolio will be very strong.

ps is there any more information on what you were going for in the kids toy?

Much better… I’d move the picture of yourself and that info to one of the last pages, instead of leading off with it.

nice portfolio. interesting to see the work of a fellow CUSID student.

overall a great example of how simple a portfolio site can be, and still be effective. good use of a stock (lightbox JS is it?) app, to present info in an easy to browse format.

i also like your personal branding. a good idea for all i highly recommend. not sure about the script font on the main page, but…

only suggestion i have is as already mentioned to show some more process for some of the projects like the vacuum and bikerack. youve got some nice sketches, but i would like to see a few more pages on the larger projects.

as well, perhaps you could find some way to make a main portfolio page showing the different projects that would lead to a seperate page for each so you could get to one project without going in order. perhaps another JS app like simpleviewer might work that shows a thumbnail of each page…

nice stuff.

R

Thanks for the feedback!