Stuck

I’m trying to design a handle that twists to release a pin, but am struggling with actually making it work. I need the handle to twist on one axis and the pin to release on a perpendicular axis. Any sugesstions? Thanks!
sketch-handle-rotate.jpg

OK, I think I understand this.
The “handle” is in the middle of the shaft and must rotate to release the pin.
Do you need for the pin to reengage when you rotate the handle back to the starting position, or can it be reset in some other way?
Must the mechanism fit into a spindly rod like this, or can you bulk up the dimensions?
I’m thinking this can be done, but your problem may be that you are trying to force the mechanicals into too small of a space.

Hi Robin, yes, the pin will need to reengage, the handle would also need to be sprung so that it would rotate back to the starting position as well. The rod size can be increased, but obviously I would like to keep it as slim as possible. Thanks for your reply.

Got it.
OK I was tempted to start sketching this out for you, but I think that needs to be done by you.
Unless you want to pay me :laughing: .

So here are my thoughts.
The first thing that came to mind was the rotating handle on the steel cabinets I keep old samples in.
This is a picture of the inside of the cabinet door (left) and the outside of the other cabinet (right).

This might also help, its a common tube latch used on most types of household door handles.

The pin release is a bit more tricky. This robot claw has the basic mechanicals down.

However, if this thing is as small as I think it is, you’re better off looking at surgical instruments.
This laparoscopic grasper has essentially the same mechanicals as the toy robot claw, but way smaller.
Believe it or not, I have one of these at home. They’re handy for engine work!

One problem you may find is that the jaws do not open parallel to eachother, so the pin itself would release at an angle.
That can be easily overcome by adding a couple of hinges. this is a more specialized laparoscopic grasper:

As you can see, attaching a pin to the inside of the jaws here would do the trick.

Thats a whole lot of internal parts and movement, plus it sounds like you’ll want this sprung.
I think you might want to close the loop around your handle.
It will be much stronger, and won’t interfere with the necessary travel.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
What is it?

Wow, thanks, better response than I ever could have hoped for!! I’ll have a proper look over those tomorrow and crack on. It will eventually be a child gate… I’ll post some development soon! Thanks again!

One big problem I see is that there’s nowhere for the pin to retract into. The depth of the space behind the pin is thinner than the the length of the pin.

What if it’s more like a rotating-hooking latch that can be directly attached to the rotating handle? It would need to rotate on the axis of the main rod. I think you’d still need more room in the “wishbone” areas though.
Master-Lock-40DPF-rw-99097-164148.jpg

A child gate!?!

I’m sure you could (and probably should) come up with something far more simple for the latch.
More parts = more broken parts.
Plus, speaking as a parent, safety is the #1 concern.
Nobody buys these things to spruce up the house.

I installed some pocket doors in my house a few years ago, and now my daughter wants a lock on her door.
It turns out that they do make locks for pocket doors.