story boarding to form development

storyboarding is an encouraged process in product design. while in web design user profiles can be used for testing and in the design stage itself, I am , as a student, unable to know exactly how, story boarding and imageboards can be applied to form development! Any cues

i messed up… :laughing:

if it is imageboards you are refering to, Wim Muller has some interesting thoughts in his book Order and Meaning in Design

as my understanding, r u talking about the scenario? make up a persona, and his/her life scenario, based on your consumer profile. then find their needs according to the story…

I created this storyboard to define the user’s problem that my design brief was based on. Didn’t find it helped me personally but made it a lot easier to explain to others what the project was trying to achieve.

Good ID is supposed to tell a story and create an experience for consumers/end users. If you can’t tell a story about your design with storyboards images or a “trailer”, chances are you don’t have a product people want.

Trendboards are a tool to visually communicate the main concepts you are trying to communicate with your design. If you say your design is intuitive, soft or whatever, the trendboard should visually convey those key words.

Sigh.

That’s the problem with the concept of personas - people think they are something you simply “make up.” That’s not how personas are created.

Hint: this is the design research board

thanx ed. i am sure it makes the understanding part easier.It conveys the idea in a better way but as a designer, does it make him clear about it? I want to inow hoe is the designer, in his form development process (mind maps or paper pencil) benefitted by the storyboard,especially the form that he generates.I have a faint idea abt that effect but want to see an example of the process…Thanx nydesignguy for the input and ‘guest’ for the leads

go out, and meet some potential consumers of your product. check out the problems that they have with current solutions. i am talking about on the street, at work, in an elevator, at a store, wherever. ask a little, and they will probably tell you more that you could ever need to know - dont be pushy, just curious. if you can video tape them while you talk, great - watch those later, they will be invaluable. if you are really good, set up a simple set of tasks and perform standard tests that you have created, both qualitative and quantitative. that way you could have some statistical data to base design decisions on…

also, make sure to just candidly watch/video people around town using competitive products

after all of that - try to figure out how your different users have similar lifestyles concerning your product. then you can base your user profiles on that information - and make a cute story and set of drawings to personify that particular user profile.

take your user profile(s) - and use that as a baseline for product design considerations.

DEFINATELY, DO NOT just make something up. That is why we get products that consumers can never use. REMEMBER - you are not the consumer, even if you will use your product - the background that you have completely elimates any similarites to the average consumer.

Constantinople, thanks for a positive and encouraging posting. Ultimately, this is more helpful than my sniping and annoyed post that responded to the same thing! Glad someone else picked up the slack…