Start-up Brand / Entrepreneur Concept FAQ

I get a lot of start-up inquiries in my business. Some are great and turn out to be amazing long term clients. Others, have no idea what they are doing or what they want.

Inspired to help out (and make my life easier) I’ve put together a Entrepreneur Concept FAQ. “I Want to Start a New Footwear Brand … Now What?”

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

doc available here (PDF link) -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2074253/DC_Entrepreneur_Concept_FAQ_01.pdf

Thanks,

R

Nice writeup.

A thought - in the sourcing chapter, essentially you write that you do not provide this service, except for someone you strongly believe in, correct? And that it is an exception and not the rule. I envision the scenario where every client will think that “this is me, I am the exception” forcing you to manufacture excuses and risking the client taking personal offense. Wouldn’t it be better to just say that you do not provide this service outside of general pointers on how to go about it, and if you want to do it for someone - you bring it up.

I get so many enquiries about this myself (as you know) I’m in the middle of rewriting my FAQ’s to reflect that. I can also share some of the emails I use all the time.

I do suggest planning first, I suggest the client writes a business plan. Then to secure capital. The main reason I turn people down is twofold. No plan and no money.

Also the question about introducing business start ups to factories. I do do this but only if I 100% believe in the client and their product. It’s too risky otherwise. Good factories are not infinite. They are gold dust and we don’t to waste their valuable sample room time. I and other freelancers all have had bad experiences with this so it pays us to be very careful. I often do it for commercial clients who are looking to expands their resource base, but I make it clear (in writing), that it is their responsibility to manage it, I don’t get involved. I’m not a footwear agent.

But I’m probably going to change my FAQ’s as I’ve not made it clear how it all works. As someone on Linked In says, ‘Factories will not invest in the brand of someone else.’ And I agree.

Sadly, yes this is true, unfortunately it can attract the same type of attitude of wannabee model or singer, that you are unique with ground-breaking idea that no one else has thought of, when the reality is these quirky ideas - I get the same ones all the time and they rarely work commercially. So I do send alot of replies out that amount to the same answer.

Sometimes I feel like sending mails out that say, ‘read the FAQ’s dude’ because people just read your homepage and call you. Often in the middle of the night. sigh I have to switch my phone off now. I get stalked. But that’s what happens when you put your details on the internet.

Kudos! This is a great idea and well executed. I haven’t had a chance to review in detail, but my overall feeling is that this is a valuable document for both a startup as well as for your consultancy - great proactive “branding.”

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

The point about the sourcing is well taken. Might be better if I just say I don’t do it. It really is something I am very hesitant about normally, given I don’t want to risk relationships on either side of the client-supplier line with me stuck in the middle. I’ve seen it go bad both ways. The client (brand) doesn’t go to production, or is a lot of hassle for the fty, or the fty doesn’t pull through and cancels production leaving the brand in trouble. I always also figure there isn’t much in it for me to take the risk. I’m not an agent taking a % of FOB, so while I can offer sourcing for a fee, long term there isn’t enough benefit to reward.

Also good point Shoenista about the business plan. It is indeed important, though often I do work with clients who don’t have one, but have a sound concept that I can help translate into a business plan and opportunity. That’s really part of the my services given I work from branding +, not just design.

Hopefully the FAQ helps weed out the ones with no chance.

Do you think it is too much info to have on the website, or should only be provided by request?

It was also suggested to me to perhaps charge a nominal fee for the FAQ. There is lots of useful info, and might be another way to separate those serious from those who “have an awesome idea”…(and nothing more)?

R

I think provide only upon request/engagement by a potential client.

I wouldn’t charge - I believe in the idea that you need to give to get. This is a great way of establishing yourself as an expert in this process. And I think if they walk away, then no loss to you, and rather you’ve made a good impression and put another little piece of “who you are” into the world.

I wouldn’t charge either. Someone I know is making an ebook about the same and is charging. I don’t really like the idea of that.

The point about the sourcing is well taken. Might be better if I just say I don’t do it. It really is something I am very hesitant about normally, given I don’t want to risk relationships on either side of the client-supplier line with me stuck in the middle. I’ve seen it go bad both ways. The client (brand) doesn’t go to production, or is a lot of hassle for the fty, or the fty doesn’t pull through and cancels production leaving the brand in trouble. I always also figure there isn’t much in it for me to take the risk. I’m not an agent taking a % of FOB, so while I can offer sourcing for a fee, long term there isn’t enough benefit to reward.

I think I’m going to take all the sourcing stuff off my site too - yes I do offer it, at my discretion, but 99% of the enquiries, prototyping is all they’re interested in. I think my clients tend to be different to yours, with different needs. My two main ones, I don’t hestitate to introduce them to any resource, because they place orders. My two current business start ups have placed good orders too. But I think it’s best to not advertise it. You can still offer it, in private at your discretion.

Also good point Shoenista about the business plan. It is indeed important, though often I do work with clients who don’t have one, but have a sound concept that I can help translate into a business plan and opportunity. That’s really part of the my services given I work from branding +, not just design

My point, is the business start ups I’ve worked with successfully didn’t have business plans either, but they were very clear about who they were, what they wanted and where they were going with it, they had the plan in their heads.

As opposed to, ‘I love Jimmy Choo/Nike/insert brand here’ I want to do the same but different. Which isn’t a basis for a plan.

Hopefully the FAQ helps weed out the ones with no chance.

If they read it :wink:

Do you think it is too much info to have on the website, or should only be provided by request?

What I did on my site was ‘Notes for New Clients’ which is an edited version of what I would email out. So you could put a shortened version up for public view.

Do watch out though, people can be very fond of copying your copy. So for that reason again, I wouldn’t put the whole thing up for public view.

Shoenista,

Some good points. I like the idea of putting an abridged version up. I have thought that people may copy it, though really there is not much that shouldn’t be obvious to anyone who knows what they are doing. It’s a fine line I suppose between being helpful, making your own life easier, promoting your expertise, and giving too much away.

I just read through your New Client section. I like it. May take another pass at the FAQ with a different viewpoint in mind.

FWIW, I just had a random call 2 minutes ago from someone who obviously didn’t read the FAQ. They found me through my First Pullover blog, where I’ve actually cross posted the FAQ as the first article, but they didn’t get that far I suppose…

As an aside, I really wish it was easier to do sourcing for new brands. I work with quite a few and it’s always the same struggle. I’d like to think that if done right a sourcing company could make good money just from servicing start-up and prototyping things… maybe that’s a future business :slight_smile:

R

Back in the early '90’s there were loads of independant sneaker sample rooms in Pusan. When I worked at Pentland, that’s where we’d go to get our sneaker samples. They’ve all gone now.

It would make life alot easier were they still there.

Ya, so goes the industry I suppose. From Japan in the 60’s to Korea in the 80’s to Taiwan in the 90’s to China in the 00’s now to VN and beyond…

R

Yes, starting, or rather wanting to start, a shoe brand seems to be quite popular these days. Many people who are at this stage think that their shoes will sell because they are cool and don’t think about where it will fit in in the marketplace. An idea really doesn’t have to be ground breaking for it to work but you need to see where there’s unanswered demand. Another element here is the entrepreneur. He or she is the driving force that is going to make the business succeed or fail.

And then the sourcing company messes up its contacts or how does that work :slight_smile:

Ah, yes, sample rooms aren’t around anymore. There are still factories that have lower MOQs and therefore are more willing to work for start-ups and do their samples.

Except most are crap. Like all those ftys you find on Alibaba and elsewhere. Sure they can make samples. But they are garbage. Good luck with production QC and them not copying your stuff 1 hour after your send your specs.

R

Oh, wow, the factories on alibaba are the absolute lowest of the low. QC yes, somewhat troublesome, copying also, but that’s a problem for China in general. Your designs are never safe.

It’s fashionable - when I graduated (i.e. old fart) being a shoe designer wasn’t hip, no one knew what we did and the sneaker collecting thing was only just beginning.

Now we have Dragons Den, X Factor, loads of talent shows on Tv and everyone wants to do it without realising what is needed and how it’s done. Dragons Den really annoys me - because it gives people the impression that the prototype comes first. It doesn’t, it goes planning, investment THEN prototype.

So R and I get kazillions of calls asking for prototyping. We are not magicians, we cannot promise to turn you into Bape overnight, but sometimes I get the impression that people think we can.

And THEN, and this is a new development, you get the sharks who want to exploit these people. In the last week I have uncovered a fake shoe school and a fake talent competition. Both wanting lots of money and promising nothing.

Take a look
http://www.shoedesignuk.com http://www.thelondonfashionschool.com/

It is harder than ever to find factories who will work with business start ups. Especially since the recent recession. They will only do established brands.