stanford pratt cranbrook risd

hey everyone…

I am looking into grad ID programs, and I am wondering if i could get some objective advice about stanford, pratt, cranbrook, or risd. I have a fine art/sculpture background and I am looking for a program that will support a smart/ethical/alternative approach, while providing the facilities and curriculum to give me the skills to bring these sometimes abstract ideas into production… Eventually, I would like to focus on medical and product design.

I have visited all of these schools except (unfortunately) pratt. And I am hoping that someone might be able to either reinforce or argue my impressions of the programs… plus maybe someone could tell me something new.

I absolutely adored Cranbrook… the students were SO bright and excited about their work and they had fantastic ideas… If I were entering grad school with more ID experience, I would definitely gravitate toward Cranbrook… however… considering I don’t yet have what I believe to be a professional portfolio… I think that it may not be smart for me to enter a program that is so theory heavy.

RISD seems to have a pretty good curriculum and pretty good facilities… but the atmosphere felt somewhat stale to me.

From what I have read and heard about pratt… they offer a number of solid courses and they encourage “artistic” thought… but their overall reputation seems to waver somewhat…

right now, I am leaning toward Stanford (MFA) because Mike Kelley is one of the Directors of the “joint program in design” and he seems like a fantastic teacher with incredible connects… the students are also bright and excited… the students have access to engineering and liberal arts courses… and they are strong in medical design + bioengineeringdesignstuff

sorry…
this is a really long entry
there are so many view points posted on this board… I’m just trying to sort them all out

THANKS!

Agreed on all three counts. But, if there is one school that you’re really interested in (in your case, Cranbrook sounds like the one), why not just give yourself more preparation before you enter the program?

right now, I am leaning toward Stanford (MFA) because Mike Kelley is one of the Directors of the “joint program in design” and he seems like a fantastic teacher with incredible connects…

I mean David Kelley… of course

Have you thought about the Designed Objects program at the Art Institute of Chicago?

1st: find all the previous threads concerning grad school and the grad programs you’ve listed.

2nd: your looking for applicable job skills not theory. I strongly urge you to concider a Bachelors.

RISD and Cranbrook Masters programs are inappropriate for anone looking for work in the Medical product feild. Stanford would be an excellent choice (but realize you’ll need undergraduate coursework to get up to par with professional standards anywhere you go $$). I’d suggest looking at other programs with established ties to biomedical engineering departments like CMU and UC.

Realize ‘single use’ is the gold standard for sterility in medical environments and diametrically opposed to sustainability.