sprandi competition entry

a lil’ something i did for the sprandi competition…i thought it would be a good exercise to do a running shoe, since i usually stay with b-ball kicks…proportions are probably off some, i probably should post some sketches and dust of the scanner, later for that though…critiques?

I like the tail and heel,is agressive in comparation of the rest.

the sole is very thin in the toe area,is low.

proportions,i thik you gave to much movement to the toe.

JB

It’s awesome! I love it. Here is what I think is working:

1_ Low profile performance is in
2_ simple but elegantly sculpted midsole still looks like a serious performance cushioning unit.
3_ clean upper is stylish, simple, minimal… only what you need, not a lot of overlays,
4_ external heel counter gives just the right amount of tech to the upper
5_ traditional running “m toe” is a nice touch

Things I would change:

1_ medial/ lateral is pointing the wrong way… Always show the right shoe. (at least that is what we do here, not sure how standard that is)
2_ the proportions are very good, the only 2 spots that are a bit funny is the sharp intersection between the end of the eyestay and the vamp. Also the toe spring would start from further back, about the middle of your outrigger and gently sweep up. The midsole would disappear to 0, only rubber would wrap the toe.
3_ eyestay. It would be nicw if you designed the lace up system a bit more. A few punched holes or eyelts, or a molded variable lace option at the top of the eyestay would be great.
4_ I want to see a toe vie and the bottom. I love the shoe and want to see the rest of the design.
5_ It would be great to show colorways as this shoe will look great in multiple colors… a huge plus for a smaller brand.

Great work dude

^md

the sole is very thin in the toe area,is low.

i was going for that, to make give it a more aggressive stance…something like how sports cars have larger wheels in the rear & smaller at the front give it a sort of haunched look. though it probably could be bumped up some…

2_ the proportions are very good, the only 2 spots that are a bit funny is the sharp intersection between the end of the eyestay and the vamp. Also the toe spring would start from further back, about the middle of your outrigger and gently sweep up. The midsole would disappear to 0, only rubber would wrap the toe.
3_ eyestay. It would be nicw if you designed the lace up system a bit more. A few punched holes or eyelts, or a molded variable lace option at the top of the eyestay would be great.
4_ I want to see a toe vie and the bottom. I love the shoe and want to see the rest of the design.
5_ It would be great to show colorways as this shoe will look great in multiple colors… a huge plus for a smaller brand.

for #2, what do you mean when you say disappear to zero? example? man, you are on point with 3, 4 , 5. after giving it some time to breathe, the lacing looks funny…i did it pretty haphazardly, trying to “finish” a design for the deadline. additional views and colorways would likely give a more complete impression…

thanks!

No prob man, take a look at the midsoles below for what I mean in number 2. Look at the midsole and outsole top lines in the toe. At the toe the midsole disappears and it is all rubber… in your concept it looks like there is a thin layer of midsole the whole way?

ahhh…i see, good look!

hi there, so i ve been underground for a while sorting stuff out, anybody shed any light on this sprandi competition?

hi tom, IDAsia and Sprandi are holding a footwear design competition- you have to register at IDAsia to enter. design brief has also been given there. do take a look (at my entry as well :slight_smile:)

Ok…its just a small point… but at companies that I’ve been at (big sports companies…not Nike) the lateral and medial views are the way round that you’ve got them…

…so I guess it doesn’t really matter which way around the views are.

A nice flowing curve from the toe up to collar line would really improve the sillouette (just to re-inforce the point)

Apart from that, I agree with the changes Yo said… you’ve got some good work there dude…keep it up.

Ps…Tomfoolery…you’ve been underground? Like the A-team?

… wanted for a crime he didn’t commit…

Thanks for the info, wasn’t sure if that was standard, or just a Nike thing…

…a designer of fortune…

Maybe its a Nike thing, maybe its a US thing, the big A and the big P have it this way round though…

…I suppose you need everyone in the company doing the same thing.

… and if you can find me

Ok thanks , I had a fair amount of contact with Sprandi a couple of years ago, I was fortunate to spend a memorable weekend with them in Moscow, long story but great guys… Very interesting set up they have there, Mark there designer director is actually on this board… somewhere…

Good luck to alll entries, oh and Yo - nice tutorial dood ;o)

does it not depend on if you sample in right or left hand?

Don’t really think there is a set rule, as long as all info is provded for factories in Asia to understand should nt be a problem, I chop and change depending on my mood, size though is importannt (no matter what they tell you) very importnat to present renders to scale for both man and woman normally US9 or european 42, 43 for guys and US6 european 38,39 for the laydees…

I think its just for if you have a presentation to directors or whoever…

…it saves everyone keep asking “what side of the shoe is that?”

ps. Tom, I can’t believe your not coming to Berlin…I suppose its because your living underground with the wombles.

At least he gets a cool company car (black van, red stripe, professional driver…)

How do you get any work done if “you ain’t gettin on no god damn plane!”

Yeah I use to draw the left shoe all the time. But a couple years ago I sent some sketches to DE, and he told me to draw the right shoe, because you always want the Jumpman facing the right and towards the front of the shoe. Ever since then, I’ve retrained my brain to draw the right shoe. Good times.

I honed my model making skills in various warehouses using only a blow torch and my white hot witt.

J money - sorry about Berlin dood I am BUMMED, will be back in UK for xmas though bru so we’ll DO IT UP!!

No probs, I understand that Hannibal can be a tough boss sometimes.

We’ll do it up tight…like a tiger at Xmas.

Good luck breakin’ Murdoch out of the mental hospital.