something i have been working on.

Back to the future: early 20th century style with 21st century technology

The VeloRaycer combines the cache of vintage racing motorcycles with ease and efficiency of plug in hybrid power system.

The combination of a Honda gxh50, 50 cc gas motor and also an electric drive motor not only allows for huge range, but means your never caught out of power with a long peddle home.

The VeloRaycer is an assisted bicycle, meaning that the 1200-watt in hub electric motor will only provide assist when the pedal cranks are moving. However, the amount of assist is up to you via the hand throttle, anywhere from zero to 100%. The amount of effort you put into peddling is also up to you from a little to a lot! It works anytime the pedals are moving. The hybrid drive is at your command!

The peddle system is great for extra boost when hill climbing or powering away from stop signs, but with the 1200 watt motor --which gives you the real power of 3 Lance Armstrong’s its hardly necessary. This system allows the VeloRaycer to be classed as a bicycle, thus getting around the speed restriction that mopeds are saddled with, allowing the VeloRaycer to keep up with city traffic (35-40 MPH) and be truly useful as a fun commuter.

The plug in hybrid is truly useful! If you are at home just plug it in for a charge. If you are out and about and the batteries are getting low you just pull the easy starter of the frame-mounted motor and let it perk away recharging your batteries, even while on the go. Because the gas motor is connected only to the alternator, you can leave the VeloRaycer running in recharge mode while you are off doing other things, shopping, having a beer, or whatever in perfect safety because while you carry your key, the motor assist is off line. The freedom of having fully charged batteries at all times makes for lots more fun and usability at the same time!

The VeloRaycer has some impressive performance, top speed on level ground of 40 mph (down hill its up to YOU) with an effective range of 200 miles while providing over 200 miles per gallon MPG).

Get some style in your commute, have a micro carbon footprint and keep cash in your pocket.

zip, I’ve been exploring this niche too lately. No raining on parade intended, I just thought you might be interested in this.

California Vehicle Code, Section 406

Motorized Bicycle

1. (a) A “motorized bicycle” or “moped” is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

(b) A “motorized bicycle” is also [my emphasis added] a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all [my emphasis added] of the following requirements:

(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.

(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.

(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.

(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

“YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.”
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 804, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996. Supersedes Sec. 2, Ch. 342.

Sec. 406 see: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm

California Vehicle Code Index (covering Bicycles).
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_b.htm

Yup i am aware of calli’s stupid law…the solution…a cali versoin with a viral hack at inventables on how to “up grade” it…