Solidworks vs Autocad?

what is a better program ( as a whole) i was just curious. i dont use autocad, but i do use solidworks (ameteur). im starting to think that autocadd is “going out of sytle” what do you people think?

all opinions are welcome.

it all depends in what industry you’re in. architecture is almost solely done with autocad with usually some renderings done in 3ds max. in product (industrial) design there are a myriad of programs used…

imho all of them can perform equally good. you just need to know how to use the programs and be fast at it.

They are two completely different programs for different useage scenarios. AutoCAD is stil a 2D drafting program. Solidworks is 3D parametric solid modeller…

I thought AutoCAD went out of style 12 years ago. Even Architects are using Revit (not an Autodesk product) http://www.revitcity.com

I don’t think I have seen AutoCAD in ID since 2001 or so. I was surprised then too.

autodesk, does make Autocad INventor which is a total waste of time and should be avoided. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to work with someone who used it. It’s even worse than trying to work with a Cobalt user.

but it’s so easy to use! HA!

thats what i thought…but at my current job engineers talk about autocadd like its the GOD of all design/draft programs…it pisses me off :imp: .

thats what i thought…but at my current job engineers talk about autocadd like its the GOD of all design/draft programs…it pisses me off :imp: .

i dont think autocadd should exist. i think there are many new program that does not require “command” to be able to do something. maybe im just in love with being a designer and am biased agained engineers lol not sure what it is :smiley:

Only very old engineers use AutoCAD. you can quote me on that.

Revit was bought by Autodesk sometime back, several years ago – I think

I know lots of architect that still use 2d AutoCad, but Revit is finally taking some ground here in NZ.

And speaking as someone who used to design machines in AutoCAd, I’d rather poke a sharp stick in my eye than go back to designing with AutoCad. SolidWorks (and no doubt many others 3d modelling packages) are vastly superior when it comes to machine and product design. I can see the advantages of AutoCad for architectural floor plans, but that is all.

i think there are many new program that does not require “command” to be able to do something. maybe im just in love with being a designer and am biased agained engineers lol not sure what it is

That is a ridiculously uniformed opinion. I’ll bet you money I can wipe the floor clean with you when it comes to modelling speed in Rhino because I still use the command line.

All you young designers think you can get by with point and click operation. Typing commands on a command line is an extremely efficient workflow and you would do yourself a great favor to learn keyboard shortcuts and to use a command line if your app supports it.

I can easily use Windows and OS X without using a single mouse click. Can you?

wow… i’m soooo impressed. good for you.

I still remember the day an engineer saw me using a mouse with an early Mac and told me the mouse would never catch on…

That was a long time ago. It seems the mouse did catch on.

autodesk, does make Autocad INventor which is a total waste of time and should be avoided. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to work with someone who used it. It’s even worse than trying to work with a Cobalt user.

Ditto that !

my man, calm down. you can state your opinion here, you dont need to attack me lol

read the post bud. it said solidworks vs autocadd, i dont see rhino on the subject line.

:wink:

Bart from design engine…very good comments…Old Guys do use AutoCad and that’s very funny…
I have the unfortunate job of having to teach SolidWorks to those old AutoCAD people… sometimes its like hitting a wall with some people…
I really have to make the statement…to Forget everything you’ve learned up to this point…you are no longer using AutoCAD…and I don’t even really want to hear the words…“I am able to do this in AutoCAD, why can’t I do it in SolidWorks>?”…I hate that question…because they immediately think that because they can’t figure it out…its somehow the programs fault…Old people…just retire… :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a ridiculously uniformed opinion. I’ll bet you money I can wipe the floor clean with you when it comes to modelling speed in Rhino > because > I still use the command line.

First and foremost it comes down to you personal work flow. If you like command lines then by all means, run with it. BUT do not proceed to think that you would win a war of “I’m faster than you blah blah blah” because in all reality, Rhino has its draw backs just like any program. And to think that it doesn’t only shows even more why your foot is in your mouth.

All you young designers think you can get by with point and click operation. Typing commands on a command line is an extremely efficient workflow and you would do yourself a great favor to learn keyboard shortcuts and to use a command line if your app supports it.

Keyboard short cuts is something that most people actually do use. But it could be pointed out that the draw back with a command line are numerous. Once again, as you indicated its about your persnoal work flow. I am sure that in Solidworks the fact that it is parametric trumps AutoCAD or Rhino any day of the week.

I can easily use Windows and OS X without using a single mouse click. Can you?

So you can use keyboard short cuts, I bet you will also be the guy using keyboard short cuts when voice activated commands become standard for computer interaction. HA… I jest, but really though, don’t take yourself so seriously just because your work flow works for you. And don’t assume that you are a floor waxer because you have mastery over one work flow, then you may just find yourself doing that for a living… “Wax on, Wax off… Wax on Wax off…Very good young Daniel-Son”

Piece OUT