solidworks modeling technique

I’m trying to make a cap with a rotating flip up spout, which sits in the cap flush when closed.

What’s the best way to model this?

I made a solid cap, made the spout, placed it, and used it to offset surface and cut the negative space in the cap solid. Now if I make one change to the original spout, it caused all sorts of errors upstream.

Is there a way to break references? If so, is that the best practice for modeling?

Current ASSEMBLY TREE:

CAP

• cap revolve
  • surface offset of spout
  • surface cut
    SPOUT
  • spout extrude
  • (if I make the spout hole here, it screws up the offset and cut above)

post a picture

it’s similar to this flip up spout

http://coolgearinc.com/neptune.html

For the spout one might get away with using a revolve but you will make a more modifiable model if you use the power solid works allows with curves and boundary surfaces.

for the loop portion I can only see laying out the path on a 2d plane. Use the 3d curve option to create the material thickness (cross section) and build up the curve structure with boundary surfaces.

the modeling is fine, I just want to know the “proper” way of modeling. (self taught).
The organization of parts, and assembly and how to forward think changes and references.

Say the product is a stick in the mud.

You model the tub of mud as one part. You model the stick as another part. You insert them both into the assembly, and now what is the best way to go about placing and cutting the mud with the stick (the hole where the stick sits in)?

Offset the stick surfaces and cut with that surface? (this is what I have done, but the problem is if I change the stick design (add a hole for example), it causes surface offset problems)

Or should I use a copy of the stick to cut with?
Or just cut the mud with new sketches?

I suggest playing with the insert part option some in SW. It is difficult to get the insert part option to snap to the default coordinate system. If you drag it in and point to the little blue coordinate icon. You should get the sense it snaps. (one more complaint with SW)

Basically you model the entire product minus the threads as one part. Then split each part apart using what I call delineation surfaces. Those surfaces designate between parts so you can incorporate the tolerance or snap fit there.

Use the cavity feature.

You could try top down modeling, and Insert>Split