Solidworks learning curve?

Hi,

Im an ID/furniture designer, and used Rhino since High School, so many years done in Rhino.

Now im relising I need to get into Solidworks, I recently learnt Concept unlimited/Shark FX, in my last studio i was working at.

My question is; from experienced users or SW, is it relativly easy getting into, say over a couple weeks?
taking into account that i have the prinicple knowledge of 3D CAD already.

Thanks

Ewan

Yes it is.

SW has a great UI and good learning curve.

Pro E on the other hand, makes you want to kill yourself. :open_mouth:

Defiantely SW has a great UI very easy to pick up.

I do personally prefer Pro E as when it gets towards A class surfacing i find it alot more flexible, SW i personally find a little to childish, own personal opinion thogh.

It’s so easy even I could learn it.

8 years ago I did the tutorials on the plane to Hong Kong and walked off a power user.

Solidworks is great, and will be a great complement to your Rhino knowledge. Its best feature is that you can always go back in time and tweak stuff - when you fully realize the power this offers you, you’ll be in love with it.

solidworks can be learned in a couple of weeks but to truly master it takes considerably longer, especially if you are doing advanced surfacing and organic modeling. as you become more proficient with the various solid and surface modeling techniques, you will come to realize that there is almost nothing you can not model in it. however, the advanced solidworks modeler can not only construct almost any shape, they can choose the most efficient modeling features that can be easily adjusted while considering intended manufacturing techniques.

considering you have some background in 3D already, you should be able to ‘pick it up’ fairly easily, but consider the 3d requirements of your solidworks files : are they complex shapes with various degrees of continuity, is it going to a vendor in asia, to an engineering team, 3d printing, 3D rendering etc… this will considerably determine what levels of proficiency you need to have. i have been using it for about 4 years now, having completed the advanced part and advanced surface modeling courses in it, i am still sometimes challenged by the complexity of the organic shapes that i build in it (i eventually work it out). i still prefer exploring organic forms in studiotools, especially if i need certain curvature continuous surfaces and because of it’s sketching interface.