solidworks feature question

Hi,

Has anyone ever used the ‘face curves’ feature on solidworks?
It extracts the iso-parametrics curves of a surface and turns them into 3d curves…

I don’t remember ever using this command, and if you have a face already built, why would you want to have it’s curves ?

Am I missing something?

Gerry

Can you clarify the iso portion of your question? I am dealing with two special drafts that come together inside of a rectangle.

Maybe I can help?

Is it true that Rhino surfaces need to he rebuilt in Solidworks? That’s what an engineer told me. He said he can’t use my Surface CAD + have to rebuild it all when putting in engineering details.

I use them frequently.

Feature creation within surface boundary often fails in Solidworks, so extracting face curves at geometric locations you can build the feature.

Also, shelling often fails and post-shell feature creation can cause failures; again using face curves to create geometry easily solves this problem.

Your engineer needs to get his facts straight, as Rhino is well capable of producing very precise surfaces and generate fully closed solids ready for manufacturing. The only thing is that since it’s not feature-driven, the user / designer has to make sure all the pieces of the puzzle are properly laid down. At our company we only use Rhino for all our cad needs and we sometimes do very complex injection molding or carbon fiber parts.

If you even want to cleanly trim along isoparms for better surface continuity when blending this is helpful
If you wish to create splines tangent to the flow of the surface you can use face curves
If you wish to diagnose whether there is a degenerate point in the surface this is useful because Solidworks does not display the UV lines inside a surface.

You do not need to rebuild a rhino export that comes into soldworks unless the rhino model is crap.

Engineers like to be able to make modifications due to manufacturing and when there is an import model it ties everyone down so changes are more difficult. So they tend to like to remodel which is a great methodology many manufactures have adopted… however to sell that to a team of designers, product designers and engineers and their managers you can’t use the term ‘remodel’ because that denotes your doing something twice. That is not always the case. A designer need to go down the rhino road to nail the form. The engineer should be able (with proper training) capture the integrity and form of the rhino model quite fast now that the form is defined. It is often frustrating for a designer to have to go down that road especially with inexperienced or worse older engineers who are inflexible.

example: Designer builds 20 toys in rhino that are all similar characters. Team chooses one direction and the engineering team takes over with the special eye of the designer. Capture the form in Solidworks (dont say remodel) with all the parametric modifiers in place to adjust draft … a special workflow we teach here… Many companies embraced this workflow BTW