Solidworks drawing generation

Does anyone share my lack of enthusiasm for Solidworks’s drawing package?
I find it so tedious! trying to generate views for a GA or exploded assembly is a nightmare! it 's so slow and clunky like it can only handle drawings of an extruded box or something.

I think as a solid modeller it’s great but the drawing side of it is utterly rubbish. I hope they improve it!

I share your frustration and I even started a thread to trash it. Attention Solidworks Drawings users... I submit “enhancement requests” weekly regarding the lack of capability. Hands down, worst ever.

Pro/E users out there (Design-Engine I assume…):
When you print from Pro/E, does the print render w/ Vectors? Or Raster images? Can you assign colors to objects within the Drawing Module, that may be different from the model?

Ultimately, I’d like to model something in SW, then be able to draw with the capabilities of Illustrator keeping the parametric information in the model. Come on SolidWorks… I know you want to do it.

So using pro to create vector art… is that what you were meaning? you can do this in proE. Export the drawing to DXF with “polylines” selected. Import in Illustrator. Voila. If you have PDF pro, you can save directly as PDF then import, but it sometimes flakes out and leaves in hidden lines. If you’re just talking about printing in vector, I’ve believe it does print at the highest rez on a printer like a vector file

I guess you guys want to draw like illustrator natively in SW or ProE though, huh?

So using pro to create vector art… is that what you were meaning? you can do this in proE. Export the drawing to DXF with “polylines” selected. Import in Illustrator. Voila. If you have PDF pro, you can save directly as PDF then import, but it sometimes flakes out and leaves in hidden lines. If you’re just talking about printing in vector, I’ve believe it does print at the highest rez on a printer like a vector file

I guess you guys want to draw like illustrator natively in SW or ProE though, huh?

I guess I had a lot going on there… I want to be able to draw like Illustrator in SW and then be able to produce printed materials like Illustrator. I’d also like SW to have better functionality with native illustrator files. A lot of my work involves text, and SW has a very hard time with it.

yeah, it was pretty freaking early out here too… I might have miss-read it all too

I think Masterblaster was saying that you could do some really good 2D work in Rhino a couple months ago - like dimentioned (parametric) linework that would be impossible in Illustrator, SW or Pro. I’ve been doing some tutorials lately, but haven’t gotten there yet…