SolidEdge Vs. Solidworks

I recently made a job switch. For the past few years I was using Solidworks nearly everyday working on medical and consumer products. SW took some time to get the hang of but I love it now and it is definitely my CAD program of choice. However my new job which will be designing furniture and lighting products already has Solidedge being used by their engineers. I wont be doing detailed engineering work. I will use my CAD software to design the physical aesthetics of products to send to vendors and manufactures who will do the engineering. I have been messing around with SE for the past week or so and I find myself desperately missing SW. They said they could get SW but now I am wondering if either SW or SE is even the right software for the this aesthetically driven (easy and fast) modeling work that this type of home furnishing type work demands. Ive used Rhino before and it was quicker and easy, but not nearly the program SW is.

Ive researched SE extensively but it I still cant get a sense if it will be a good software for my design demands. Should I bite the bullet and take the time to learn SE? or would that be a step in the wrong direction from SW?

Thanks all! any feedback is appreciated.

Hi,

Ive researched SE extensively but it I still cant get a sense if it will be a good software for my design demands

Don’t know how many hours have you been on your new job, but it seems it’s too early to say if SE is good for your design demands… you need to get more on GUI of the software to answer this, because of your Design Skills are the same with SE or SW…

If you’re searching for a tool for (aeasy & fast)… even SW isn’t so “easy & fast”, by that concept Modo & Rhino are better options… but here is an issue of file formats… If you’re only on concept stage and you decide to “bite the bullet” maybe return to Rhine is better and worhty, or try to use modo (it seems a trend now)…

Or check out about Autodesk Inventor Fusion… an Inventor related package that allows direct modelling… I know SE can handle this (direct modelling), but i also know that this kind of modelling isn’t featured in SW…

Maybe you can handle a little bit more time to adapt yourself to your new workflow… at least you would be ok under SW environments or SE, and maybe the next job switch should be more easy because you could end few years later with another good skill in your carrier…

I think you we’re hired on your new job by your design skills more than your software expertise, I think you where hired because of your design talent, if i’m wrong they could easy hire a Solid Edge modeler or outsourced it.

:smiley:

They trust in you !!! (Don’t know many employers with enough patience to wait for a soft package change, you know “time is on the budget”)

Just as an FYI, SolidEdge leases the software kernel for their software to Solidworks… Without SolidEdge, there’d be no Solidworks.

Just as an FYI, SolidEdge leases the software kernel for their software to Solidworks… Without SolidEdge, there’d be no Solidworks.

Rumored death of SolidWorks where out there few months ago… but know it’s known that SolidWorks would be on the market as long as the users request the package.

It seems that SolidWorks can be on the market at the same time with a new branded Software aimed for the same market (Autdesk Inventor, SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Space Claim, etc), under the same company (Dassault Systemes), but based on CATIA, not in a kernel from Siemens Solid Edge.

In few words, Dassault Systemes is planning having 2 CAD for the same market with different “flavors”…

Just to be clear, it’s leased from siemens, who then bought SE and then switched the same kernal that SW was already on.

That said, Sinclairr it may seem trendy to move to Modo rather than Rhino but it’s for good reason. Their subD approach they offer opens up a whole new ball game that SW, SW, and Rhino just fall short in. It use to be that you could only get this type of flexibility in programs like Maya or 3D Max, but those programs are rarely used in the design world because the data is generally not useful for manufacturing. The import/export kit allows for a two way street between Modo and SE or SW or any other CAD package for that matter.

Throw in some recoil possibilities (read: physical dynamics that are unreal), rendering and animation capability…it’s like you’ll almost forget just how much you love SW…

They trust in you !!! (Don’t know many employers with enough patience to wait for a soft package change, you know “time is on the budget”)

Thank you for your perspective. I agree with you, the position I was hired for demands design sense, not technical ability. But Im sure most designers can agree not having the tools you are comfortable is frustrating!

I think I will request Solidworks in the meantime. I dont want to learn another program so similiar to SW. Also I do plan to pick up Modo 601. It does seem to be on trend these days. I think having a technical program like SW for drawings and specs, etc. matched with a free form app like Modo will be a good mix.

Appreciate the feedback…