solidedge vs solid works

Interested in hearing from anyone whose used both Solidedge and
Solid works. Which do you prefer? Why? I’m comparing it for a new educational program to be used by architects, industrial designers and interior designers.

I understand Solid works tends to be more popular. [/b]

Solidworks is more popular, because of it’s price and ease of installation and use, since it is a Microsoft product and works well on most PC’s with Windows as an OS. It has very limited sufacing features, but very practical for engineering purposes that don’t involve complicated surface geometry.

If I’m not mistaken SolidEdge was developed by either Unigraphics or Dassault Systems (makers of Catia), but I think it’s a Unigraphics system. It’s interface is very similar to Solidworks. It’s very easy to use with the proper training, and is very intuitive. It’s surfacing package is relatively advanced compared to Solidworks, which is a plus for designers that like to do complicated shapes. From last I heard the price wasn’t that bad either. I would compare it to ProE Wildfire, but easier to use.

From my opinion this is the ranking that I’ve seen in the industry when it comes to 3D Engineering (Industrial Design) Software. This is according to engineering versatility (with parametric systems), ease of use, industrial design use, and price.

1. Catia – Top of the line, very expensive, used a lot in Europe and in high end engineering companies / departments for aeronautics, car design, and military purposes.

2. Unigraphics- Up there with Catia one of the first companies that introduced 3D software, but never became to popular because of its OS.

\

3. ProE- Almost became the industry standard in US because of versatility, but lost a lot of ground with the arrival of cheaper, easier to use and learn programs, like SE and SW

4. SolidEdge- Very similar to Pro-E, with ease of use interface. A late comer in the industry, and not to popular in the US, starting to become popular in Europe. A little less expenisive than Pro-E

\

5. SolidWorks – Slowly becoming the industry standard in a lot of applications where complicated surfacing is not necessary.

New Comers

1. Think 3 – Most flexible package, relatively new, haven’t seen much of it in the industry.

2. Sensible Technologies – Cool stuff, but still too sci-fi and expensive.

In fact, SolidWorks is not a Microsoft product. It is written by D’Assault Systems, and is far more widely used in the US than SolidEdge. In addition to price and ease of use, it is also very stable in dealing with solid geometry – so much so that many users of surface modeling programs like Alias and Rhino will often export models into SW to do complex filleting and merging. It is also outstanding at dealing with large assemblies.

Actually, now that I look at the original post…I’m wondering if either of these packages is the right one. While its great for product and furniture design, SolidWorks isn’t really the right program for interiors or buildings. If you want something that Interior Designers and Architects can both use, you might want to look at 3D Max.

Any other opinions here?

Actually I have seen some quite complicated surfacing down with solid works. Very easy to use and learn. 3dMax is great for producing renderings quickly and easily. Its a very different style of modeling and more suited to interior designers then Architects

I don’t think anyone serious in ID uses MAX to model with. Maya on the other hand has some powerful tools for ID’ers. Sub’D can export to Nerbs etc.

Unigraphics can re-model most of the Alias models the ID’ers in the basement at GM can muster.

Solidworks does not do complicated surfaces, just a bunch of surfaces so it looks complicated.

Truth is any 3d tool an ID’er can pick up will help them see their form. Only in hindsight will they know and only as they mature with these tools. Be careful however. You will never see a professional web designer use Front Page so choose the tool of the trade.

An ID’er might choose two tools as a designer. One that makes you feel comfortable and the other that your engineering team is using. Push yourself to prove form in each tool… say Alias and Pro/E or Rhino and Solidworks. … Problem is most ID firms have many clients. Some manufacturers are using SW and some using Wildfire.

For interiors Catia or Alias. The engineers will try to remodel the thing in Catia just like the engineers at your favorite mobile phone manufacture will remodel your Rhino model in Pro/E. The engineers don’t want the ID’er waiting time in the engineering tool.

My problem is that I am about empowering designers not limiting them.

“whom ever touches the model last wins” may not always be true but…

hi all,

well I am in the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Delhi) pursuing my masters in Industrial Design and have been related to solid edge and solidworks in some way. Our seniors used to work in Solidedge and we were exposed to solidworks. I have worked extensively in Solidworks and would like to show some of my work,if that could be of any help. The point I want to make here is that the rendering engine 0of solidworks - photoworks is quite powerful though its defult settings as compared to max are not easy to play with.Max gives easiere renderiung options as a process. Hpwever photoworks requires more of skill and practice.Here’s my work.I had put ytjhis one in the sketching room but i guess this place is much more apt for it

some of my technically complex projects in solidworks are shown here

thanks

AB+