Soliciting advice / suggestions / direction

Greetings - I’ll try to make this as short as possible (ha!). Right out of design school (few yrs ago) I was hired by a large corporation into a “non-design” type position; working with & managing entry level arch/engineering design type personal (I needed job FAST). Thus, over time, I soaked up really good / practical management experience, but no solid “I.D.” exposure. Weeks turned to months, months to years, yada yada. Now I cannot continue stifling my creative side and would like to step back into my chosen love and profession - Industrial Design. Along this “journey” somehow I managed to earn a masters of science degree in a management discipline from what some call a “top tier” school (if that matters); so thus I have a B.s and M.s., a (dusty) portfolio and I’m still in the I.D.S.A. (full member). Anyway, I’m not considering this for any “superficial” reasons - I still love and am very passionate about design. Yes, I know this won’t be a cake walk (nothing worthwhile ever is)…but at this juncture I would like to solicit ideas, suggestions, and even chiding from others; different opinions on how I can make this happen. What do you think should be the first steps towards this endeavor? Any helpful comments are welcome.

P.S. my apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

1. Junior Designer - You will probably need to start from step one again and do what any new graduate would do and that is start sending out resume either by cold calling or responding to ads for junior IDer position.

2. MS & previous work experience – Assuming that you have been working 4 plus years after graduation. Might need to downplay it and explained in cover letter to assure employer that you will not be expecting higher salary or position than a junior designer. MS and your mgmt exp is good to talk up maybe later in your ID career, but not for junior designer.

3. Am I correct that ID in NE is limited? Typically the job opportunities are concentrated in LA, SF, NYC, Boston or Chicago area. 0.1% of employer in those areas will fly you out for an interview because ID graduate in ID concentrated area are dime a dozen. Are you willing or capable to relocate?

4. Is it MS or MBA? MBA marketing?

[quote=“Lukewarm”]1. Junior Designer - You will probably need to start from step one again and do what any new graduate would do and that is start sending out resume either by cold calling or responding to ads for junior IDer position.

Understood. Luckily, I have time on my side to try and make a serious transition; so I plan to be even more proactive. I do have a few “networking” contacts in NYC/Phila, and local that I know due to contact outside I.D. that I might be able to call upon if I need to. Wish I had more though, too much is never too much.

1. MS & previous work experience – Assuming that you have been working 4 plus years after graduation. Might need to downplay it and explained in cover letter to assure employer that you will not be expecting higher salary or position than a junior designer. MS and your mgmt exp is good to talk up maybe later in your ID career, but not for junior designer.

Yes, more than 4 yrs+. I agree going into this with upfront demands, would be presumptive, initially.

1. Am I correct that ID in NE is limited? Typically the job opportunities are concentrated in LA, SF, NYC, Boston or Chicago area. 0.1% of employer in those areas will fly you out for an interview because ID graduate in ID concentrated area are dime a dozen. Are you willing or capable to relocate?

I think opportunity is where you find it. There are numerous manufacturing/small consultancies/private enterprises local to where I live. I know and have seen many opportunities locally, as well as those in “urban” areas. Additionally, I’ve seen opportunities where the client pushing for off site, almost “virtual” type situations. However, I am willing to relocate, for the right opportunity.

1. Is it MS or MBA? MBA marketing?

MS. Concentration is Org. Architecture and Dynamics. New curriculum developed by business school profs at one of the Ivies. I was not interested so much in finance or balance sheets (although that is important) as I was in logic and theoretical analysis of modern organizations. Cool design stuff.