Softwares to learn prior joining ID

But why not start dabbling and understanding what CAD is about in conjunction with the other elements of design? I learned CAD well after college. Any CAD I would have learned way back in the early 90’s would be obsolete right now. So my point really is that you have to be on a constant quest to learn new things and improve in all areas. Before college, during college and especially AFTER college.

I would reverse the argument and say that if you have a great idea, but you are terrible at CAD, you will ultimately have to rely on someone else to do it for you, instead of modeling it yourself. If you start early in CAD and get really good at it, you can actually use it to HELP you get your desired result with less chances of it being screwed up by someone else.

Ah not at all! Brunel seems like a really good univeristy for product design.

Personally I’m just finishing off my AS levels, so this is the time I really need to start looking at all the options I’ll have for university before I apply. As I want to take PD/ID I’m trying to research the best unis to take an undergrad course in and it seems like the top 2 are Loughborough and Brunel and it’s really hard to see how one favours the other.

I have an idea that Brunel allows for better years in industry and that their course is more technical with lots of modelling wheareas loughborough includes more CAD and has a much nicer campus but I don’t have enough information to be honest so the more views the better :slight_smile:

I’ve seen some good ID work from the undergraduates at Brunel. If you have the chance, check out the Made in Brunel handbook - it’s their way of sharing students work.

You know, UK MSc are only 1 year… are you sure that’s going to be enough to fully covert yourself into a competitive industrial designer? I know a few engineers who decided on a 4yr ID degree vs. a 2yr US Masters, just so they would get enough experience

It is not worth to do master’s in Product design from U.K, because it will be all theoretical(all unis) and you will not design even a single A3 size sheet. If you have some shortcomings then you will be asked to sit with bachelor’s for sketching and CAD classes(for more step by step approach). Finally at your major project, the expectation will be high since it is MSc degree , so you have to be at very high level of sketching, CAD, renderings and presentation. Which is really difficult to achieve in a year when you are coming from engineering background. If you will be working part time with studies than it will be a mountaneous task, if not then you can indulge yourself into just designing and come out being a better designer. If you have sketching,CAD and rendering skills like other sophomore here on core77 then go for your master’s otherwise it will be wise to go to bachelor’s, this is were designer’s are made and not in Master’s.

Thanks both for your reply, as it covers pretty much the same topic, The first and foremost factor why i don’t prefer a bachelor’s degree is because i have already done 4 hateful years of engineer, Which was a waste of lifetime, and i cant repeat 4 years of my life. Besides, i would be reaching 25 once i reach the end of my course, I possibly cant cant be living off my parents money till then. I want to start living off on my own asap. Secondly, as an international student bachelor’s is practically impossible for a common man like me. Masters is roughly £12,190 but bachelors comes up to around £11,765 X 4 = £47060. This is fee alone, I dont even want to calculate what the whole trip would cost me. I wont even be offered loans for this much in India.

Yeah, Yo has some good points about just designing what you know how to draw, but I don’t think that knowing some CAD necessarily equates automatically designing what you already know how to draw, even though that happens frequently.

I would say if you have the time, and are wondering what the ideal would be, go to school already know the techniques and focus on theory. Learn about why you are designing and what to design, not how to sketch or do cad.

Most of us had to do both at the same time, but if I had the choice and unlimited time looking back, I would go to a technical school and learn software, shop stuff, sketching, etc, and then go to the uni and focus on the why.

It may seems a little out of place, but good Microsoft Excel skills are handy.

When you set up sketches in SolidWorks and dimension from them, using a Design Table with Excel can made all the configurations so easy. If you know a little bit of formula knowledge in Excel you can make the dimensions link to each other, put in if/then type statements, put in random number generations, automatic rounding etc. It makes the “what if” questions (eg: “what if we make that piece longer but this piece thinner?”) much easier to answer.

Also every business in the world needs to communicate ‘numbers data’ (sales, research, etc) and Excel is great (but not perfect) to communicate with graphs. With good Excel skills you’ll never be without a job.

Hey,

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I am going to Brunel for the same course and i am also swithing from an engineering background. Where are you from, maby we should get in touch?

hi r_mal.

im ashwin from india, good to hear that we are attending the same course. where are you from? have you finalizes brunel? mail me at ashwin_120@yahoo.co.in or if u use facebook add me, www.facebook.com/ashwin120 . :smiley: