software packaging

Dont forget the main reasons of packaging.
Protecting the product from damaging and self advertising to attract people to pick it up and looks whats inside.

I would go for a product that is got a nice professional box instead of something wrapped inside few sheets of news paper and written on it with a black marker what it is.

Dan,

And I’m not necessarily defending Apple either. They can do better too. I am just constantly amazed that with all the (nearly) unlimited resources MS has, this is the best they can come up with!?

Pier nailed it when he said:

However, I do agree that molded plastic packaging seems excessive; similarly recyclable paper based packaging probably would be more in tune with modern times. It seems 1980-90’s to emphasize your new slick software with slick molded plastic packaging.

Since when did anything come in a few sheets of paper, with marker written on it? It depends on what you’re buying. A car is different from a cd. A cd is different from a banana. Here in the US we are masters of excessive packaging (packaging inside of packaging) and disposable products. At 760 kilos per person/year we are the largest municipal waste producers in the world.

The best package design I’ve seen in a long time is what IDEO did for Pangea Organics bar soap:

http://designarchives.aiga.org/index.html?s1=2

“compostable bar soap box inspired by egg cartons and made from 100 percent post-consumer content” that includes plant-seeds mixed in with the paper-pulp. Bury the box, and a plant will sprout.

I’d love to see software packaged like this, and I bet it would help, not hurt sales and increase shelf appeal.

One thing to think of before offering downloads as a solution, realize that my (and probably your) mom can barely download an email sent TO them.

Most of the people on this thread (I’m guessing) surely uses a computer daily, and most probably never actually turn it off.

Packaging is HUGE, in everything from reducing buyers remorse, increasing feeling of cool, marketing to buy, to security (shipping to theft). I like the idea here, of booklike- but I wouldn’t mind seeing some more recycling ideas. Like its been mentioned though, I’m not sure that it isnt recyclable.

Two weeks ago it took me two hours to explain to my mom how to download open office. 'nuff said!

any packaging that needs instructions to open is a failure. period.

there was another good post from engadet on this, but i cant seem to find it…

funny thing is, i actually worked on a whole series of injection molded boxes for nortel server products a while back (6 years+) and the whole target of the project was to provide a shelf system for the countless cds, manuals, etc. that come with their $1000+ software that is updated frequently. i proposed a similar low profile.download solution to the issue, but was met with stares of obvilion by the design principles/client who thought “more was more” and a $10 FOB plastic box was the best solution.

R

Proof that the people who gave us our usability problems can’t be trusted to fix them? Also proof that too many designers think their primary purpose is to be clever?

That’s hysterical about the instructions!! You know the whole “pull the red tab” thing ISN’T how that box was designed to be open… It was CLEARLY a later-fix. The box is actually designed to be opened by squeezing the two grip-areas and pulling.