Social media is bad for good design

Something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately…

I wrote a thing:

Excerpt below. Read the whole thing.

Social Media is bad for Good Design.

Social Media is bad for Designers.

I hate social media.

Good Design is a process from brief to development.

Social media too often shows only the pretty end without the messy middle (where the magic happens).

Good Design is about the experience.

Social Media praises “storytelling” over actual touching, feeling and living with a product over time.

Good Design is design in context.

Social Media rewards standing out and “different” vs. blending in or what is appropriate in real life. What works in a real home or on a real body is not the same as what looks good on the ‘gram.

2 Likes

@rkuchinsky What‘s your opinion on those „Design sketches“ you get to see on Social Media?

What kind of sketches are you thinking of?

I’ve seen all kinds. Real process sketches, fake process sketching, art pretending to be design sketching, random doodling…

1 Like

I‘m actually thinking of the „fake“-ones and the „prentending to be design“-ones?

I wanna take my sketching to the next level - but for me personally it‘s kinda hard to tell the real from the fake „stuff“ …

What should I look out for here in your opinion?

Sketching is a skill, design is a process. I think inventing to improve sketching you don’t need to worry too much about what kind of sketch you are seeing (except fake AI drawings), and just work on practicing seeing, drawing and visualizing your ideas.

1 Like

Damien Newman 2006

1 Like

between concept and design, you need a massive fluctuation for the management and program team throwing spanners in the works

1 Like

Social media = SQUIRREL!

Ok, I’ll come out and say it. I know you glossed over the irony of having this post on social media, but how exactly is this any different from the vapid posts you supposedly hate? Yours is an opinion piece with no actual evidence to support it. Your title is entirely click bait. Do tell, how does this elevate the discussion of design and not another old-man-get-off-my-lawn-rant? But I see you have a follower, mission accomplished!

I will say, I do enjoy a cat video. At the very least, add one of those.

Actually, there’s been quite the discussion on theLinkedIn post. I’d welcome you to join in.

My sentiment seems to be shared by many who have chimed in and also seems to resonate with a lot of high lever Design Directors and VP level design leaders I speak to frequently.

A common frustration I hear is that they find young designers have narrow viewpoints entirely based around a small bubble on social and don’t look to the broader market and real world for insights.

Add that to the same old things about sketching, process and business sense not being emphasized enough and I think my “rant” landed as intended.

I may be old but with age comes experience. It’s that experience I hope to share.

1 Like

I don’t entirely agree with the text. I agree with the legitimate concerns about how social media can influence the perception of design and distort reality. The pressure for likes and engagement can lead to shallowness and the overvaluing of aesthetics at the expense of functionality and user experience. Moreover, the excessive focus on the final image can obscure the creative process and the complexity of design.

However, social media has become an indispensable tool for many businesses and professionals, including designers. They offer a platform to showcase work, interact with clients and colleagues, and even to learn and be inspired by others’ work.

Furthermore, social media has democratized access to information and knowledge. Previously, designers relied mainly on magazines and other media to stay updated and inspired. Now, with the vast amount of content available online, it’s much easier for designers to expand their repertoire and explore new ideas and trends.

It’s important to strike a balance between leveraging the benefits of social media as a business tool and recognizing the challenges and limitations they present. Each designer may have a different approach to effectively using social media, according to their goals and personal values. The key is to be aware of the potential pitfalls and ensure that the use of social media is aligned with an ethical and responsible practice of design.

First, I actually do not participate in social media, other some private family things. So interacting and giving you more hits would make you an influencer, and you hate those, as best as I can tell.

I applaud you for wanting to share your experience. And social media is the best means to do that when you are a sole proprietor.

What bothers me is your actual social media post is everything you supposedly hate about social media. You haven’t denied it either. All I am doing is pointing out the gross hypocrisy.

I don’t need your “hits” @iab Thanks.

I don’t think my social media post is exactly what I hate. I rather think it’s what I’m suggesting is positive. Showing process, value of content vs. vapid content just for engagement, etc.

The medium is not the message (to misquote Marshall McLuhan).

@drey1 I of course think there’s a use (I use it) and a function for social. While a bit broad perhaps, my indictment of social media was aimed at the gross volume of content that is aimed at design/designers and the potential for misuse and limited benefit.

The key is to be aware of the potential pitfalls and ensure that the use of social media is aligned with an ethical and responsible practice of design.

^ This is exactly what I hoped my post would do. Raise awareness of the negative and shine light on the opportunity for positive.

1 Like