So what if.....?

What if I see a design that is similar to what I have done before in school or something, and is able to prove that I came out with the idea earlier than they did? Will I have the right to claim anything from that company?

Why do I ask? No, not that I am in such situation. I was thinking, this is different from idea being stolen. The company did not steal the idea, but was just later than I did, so what right will I have to claim anything from them?

no

If you don’t have a patent, you basically have nothing. You can do all kinds of things to try and prove the date of creation, but let’s face it, if you don’t have the bucks to go to court for decades, you are basically dead in the water anyways.

On a side note, when I was in school I did a measuring cup design. Two of my original concepts went into production within two years. One was similar to the Oxo one that is so famous right now. The other one would have featured slides to alter the volume. I doubt I was the first one to think of either, but it is interesting none the less. Unfortunately I developed a different (weaker as it turned out) concept to my final model…oh well!

Well, one thing you could do, is just leave them alone, and stick to your own creativity. Just create what you like to create, and if someone stole it, well, then its good that someone found it usefull. They may try to make it alittle different so it won’t show, but then they’re lying to them selves and you’re not. You win they lose. You’ll keep creating, they’ll keep stealing.

On a side note, when I was in school I did a measuring cup design. Two of my original concepts went into production within two years. One was similar to the Oxo one that is so famous right now. The other one would have featured slides to alter the volume. I doubt I was the first one to think of either, but it is interesting none the less. Unfortunately I developed a different (weaker as it turned out) concept to my final model…oh well![/quote

Raymond, you really are quite sad. Don’t forget that there are others out there that went to school with you. Do you really want us to bring up the past?

who really care if you bring up the past…? except maybe yourself…

not Raymond

I was the original designer of Spaceship One. Now, I am just a loser designer like Raymond.

Oooooh… and here’s a tough-guy trying to start a fight on the internet. Easy now M. , it’s not like you have much weight to throw around.

914 is right, unless you have the dough to file a lawsuit there is not much that you can do. Especially when you start dealing with companies internationally. You might want to read James Dyson’s book.

First on subject:

At a company I did a contract for they discussed the cost of fighting a patent. There was a technology that we all felt internally was not patentable. Despite the benefits of breaking the patent, the company who owned it had deeper pockets than ours…so they just never bothered to pursue that legal route. Mind you, this is a pretty big company, not an in-debt student.

I hope that this doesn’t sound like discouragement. What I mean to say is, if you are a student, go off and do good design while you are at school and enjoy it. If you do invent a better and patentable mouse trap, great. Even if the idea is stolen, it will be an incredible portfolio piece that will likely impress the hell out of people and therefore get you closer to your dream job.

Second to “guest”:

I don’t know who you are. Personally, I like everyone I went to school with, but obviously you have some unexpressed issues. Perhaps I did something to wrong you. I would hate to think that this would stick with you for two+ years, so send me an email so we can work this out.

Also, if you want, I can find my thumbnails.

It happens all of the time.

Take as validation of your idea. You where on the right track to finding a solution that is in demand. Keep in mind that the company was probably working on the product for about two years so their original idea might pre-date your own.

The radio was invented in two seprate places (U.S. and Italy) and pattents filed for it in the same year! If that could happen, then surely other ideas can be duplicated. There are alot of designers around the world eh?

Oh for sure! I didn’t mean to say that I thought someone “stole” my idea, just that often you will see an idea pop up in the market after you’ve given alot of thought to a problem. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a measuring cup like Oxo’s designed 50 years ago and just forgoten…in the end the technology wasn’t breakthrough, just the composition seems original for our day. This is exactly why I find it a waste of time for a student to struggle over protecting their “intellectual property”. 99% of the itme something a student develops in a month has already been done 100 times before…my projects are no different. Almost every interview someone comments on one project that they too did in school.

in the early 90’s i dreamed up Generator Shoes to power small electronics. around '98 some guy patented the idea. like most i said “if only”. turns out this old guy had the idea in like WWII or Korea humping around with radio gear or something.

i dont worry too much about big Ideas anymore. sell it or forget it.

on a similar note, i’m about to launch my website and am planning on mailing myself my designs. is this a good idea? if so, what info should i put on it other than name (duh), date and company? thanks :neutral_face:

no. do a search on this site. plenty previous discussion on Idea protection.

I think its ok if we be inspired by other people, if not, then who else? We are supposed to share, and the true meaning of creativity is knowing how to hide your resources.

that whole thing about mailing yourself something for protection is an urban legend. It does not hold up in court.

so did “raymond” get close to being owned or what?

what happened to the myterious guest who called his supposed BS?