so...what do you do for a living?

i think that as designers when we try to explain what we do we get to complicated in our explanation. what do doctors do they help sick and injured people, what do fire fighters do the put out fires, what do product designers do we design products. if they are interested in more they will ask you questions

I don’t. I’m straight. And a lady. What an 'ass’umption to make of the Core77 audience.

Now what did I do? are you mad that I said ‘how do you stun the ladies’?? It’s a figure of speech (and a poor attempt at humor to get people to respond). Oh and for future reference, if I say ‘you guys’ I am referring to everyone…not just ‘guys’ :wink:

So is everything cool people? I’m addressing everyone, and I’m not gay bashing. In fact I love everyone. If I don’t sound PC, forgive me. That’s why I’m not a politician. :smiley:

Well, shit n’ howdy Koosh. I’m from the south of Kanetuckee, I didn’t have a clue who you were talkin’ about. You said, ‘you guys’ and I thought you meant, well … you guys, the gentlemen in the forum … not y’all.

Where I grew (or is it growed, I can never remember) it’s “yun’s”, “we’uns” and “us’uns.” As in; Hey! Yun’s coming over to the house for supper tanight? We’uns is plannin on havin’ a big ole barbeque. So y’all come on over and party with us’uns.

It’ll be a cheerful and light-hearted affair. (I wouldn’t want to offend, or confuse, anyone by saying we’uns’l be havin’ a gay ol’ tam).

I didn’t have a clue who you were talkin’ about. You said, ‘you guys’ and I thought you meant, well … you guys, the gentlemen in the forum … not y’all.

Yes, lately it seems you can’t take anything for granted…I’m glad I made it clear for ya’ll backwards (or do ya’ll pronounce it ‘backwoods’) folk!

But thanks for the post man (or lady)! I won’t make any more 'ass’umptions about nobody no more. …and I’d say yer post was funny, but then I’d be making fun of ya’ll now wooden I?

haha, what a thread…

great! everybody learned something today!!

<<<<<True… There’s that ‘design’ channel. Interior and fashion stuff. It makes it sounds like all designers are gay. Kinda sucks. And then there’s Karim.>>>>>>

Arn’t they? It sounds like someone has a issue with the possiblitly of being perceived as being Gay or being in a profession that is perceived to be dominated by gay people? If your choice of being and Industrial designer is linked to your sense of Heterosexuality, then maybe you should have made the career choice of being a Cowboy. Oh , I forgot , that myth was recently exposed.

I agree with the others who said “to get over it”. The only person who cares about it is you.

When people ask you what you do for a living, it is code for HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU MAKE. So what you do and what you make are very different things in this status obsessed culture.

Just make good changes in this world and not poor choices

When people ask you what you do for a living, it is code for HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU MAKE. So what you do and what you make are very different things in this status obsessed culture.

:laughing: that’s the whole problem! If we said how much we made people wouldn’t take our job seriously, so we have to butter it up and try to make it sound as cool/fun as possible.

I got a relative that knew I am a designer, ID in particular.

One day, he asked me… “do you have any apartment interior design? can you give them to me?”

In my mind, I was thinking “WHAT?”
I am a Industrial Designer. What the… interior design? And you want instant design?"

I went on, explaining that I do products, small objects.

And he said “yes, you designers knew the way out. You should be able to steal some idea of interior design from somewhere.”

Mind him that I work in a consumer electronic company all my life. I should have given him the PCB layout, to shut his mouth. Perhaps he will probably think that that is a FLOOR PLAN.