small hinge source

I’m looking to incorporate some smaller hinged doors into a cabinetry system I’m working with. These would be similar to the size of an automotive glovebox or other compartment. The ideal would be a spring loaded flip up (or down) door hinge for a door that’s ~3" x 5". The door would be a 1/8-1/4" thick plastic, mdf, or metal. I’m used to dealing with normal cabinetry hinges, but they’re not appropriate for doors this size.

Does anyone know of sources for a piece of hardware like this? Possibly a place that stocks parts for cars or boats…maybe even electronics…

Ideas please. Not sure where to start. Thanks.

Here’s a pretty small one from McMaster-Carr…

Mcmaster has great service, they will contact manufactures for you if you know what you want.

thanks. The mcmaster hinge listed above is not exactly what I’m looking for, but along the lines. I’ll try prodding their customer service to see if they have anything for my specific application. Level of finish is extremely important, so it has to either be hidden from view or very nicely finished.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You didn’t spec dimensions, but these look pretty small to me…

“The miniature hinges offered are brass plated mild steel .017” thick. The hinge pin is steel of .048” diameter. Hinges are available in 3/8”, 1/2” and 5/8” widths. The hinge pin diameter is the same for all hinges. The hinges are supplied in 10”, 20”, and 30” lengths. The lengths of the individual hinge units are .200” wide."

Hinge units? Maybe they mean the width of the “roll”.

[link]
Hingeinhandcopy.jpg

As far as electronics, you can get some small and interesting laptop hinges… they have different levels of resistance when pivoting which might give a different effect when you use them, ie. mesmerizingly slow gravity moved flip-down doors or a higher quality feel hingy feel. They aren’t usually very aesthetic and might be more difficult to mount though

These guys used to email me all the time → http://hanayainc.comwww.hanayainc.com/
image001 (1).png

These are nice. Definitely would like the slow mesmerizing soft-close/open effect. I do however need something that’s concealed from the face of the door. Most of these hinges require that the barrel of the hinge be seen and out from the pivot point. I need something that articulates vs just pivoting…starting to get picky i realize…

We’re all picky, it’s why we’re designers. :wink: And a lot of times “they” don’t make what we need.

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware offers a bunch of nice hinges. Not miniature :confused: but browsing through them might spark an idea, or two.

Like this Soss hinge.
Soss concealed hinge.jpg