Skill needed in industry

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the key skills in design are. I have already learnt CAD, and hand rendering but would like to know of other skill that i would need before i enter the design world.

:bulb: :bulb:

Proper spelling, capitaization, and grammar are helpful.

hahaha guest…very funny!!! :smiling_imp: .

we have a comedian here!!!

maybe you have never thought that Gordy’s mother language is not english rght? Well why do not you log in to see who you r and how many foreign languages you speak (i assume just english right?)

i think that core77 should not allow posting from non logged on users!

If one resides in the United Kingdom, especially Great Britain, “learnt” is an accepted alternative to “learned”.

That dispensed with, some other skills that you will find helpful might be:

business
injection mold design (an understanding of the various types)
graphic design
marketing
manual drafting (everyone does not use a computer)
manufacturing processes
materials (and not just plastics)
model making
a foreigh language (I took German, now live in Calfiornia, and wish it had been Spanish).

anyone else care to add?

The key skills in ID are skills you cannot learn. For example… the ability to sketch quickly and accurately. You’re borned with it. Taking drawing lessons will only sharpen your skills or broaden you scope of techniques. I don’t care what people say… one of the best ways to ‘communicate’ your ideas effectively is thru simple, quick sketches. Don’t believe if they say they can photoshop render, 3DCAD, or Freehand better/faster than you can sketch on paper. Those people can’t draw well.

Show us your portfolio and we’lll tell you what skills you need.

I agree that sketching is key, but I disagree with the idea that a peron is born with it… or borned in this case.

It is a leaned language. The only way to become fluent is to be arround people that speak it, and to speak it yourself as much as possible. It is another way for the brain to communicate, but visual instead of audible, drawn instead of spoken.

I have seen people with no sketching skills, commited to getting better, improve dramaticly with a few months of daily practice. Those of us that where good out of the gates most likely never stopped drawing as a child. I know for me I was constantly getting yelled at in English class for drawing stereos, robots, and cars in the back of the class… I can’t spell for crap, but I can draw.

where you born with the knowledge of speach?

Some things that every designer should know IMO are:

Manufacturing technology and processes
Materials of all kinds
Ergonomics, as related to user interfaces and the overall scale of products
Communication, speaking, presenting type skills

And to lesser extent (these indirectly affect design in one way or another):

Economics/accounting
Psychology
Marketing
Politics

Learn as much as you can about everything. I’ve never heard anyone say that they knew too much, even if some of that knowledge is not directly related to your chosen career.

I’ll throw in my two cents worth.

Since design is such a broad area, I would think the ability to be an effective designer would be dependent on some expanded forms of the three C’s.

Communication- Effective communication in written, visual, and interpersonal settings. This would take the form of high literacy and knowledge of relevant software, modeling, sketching, and rendering skills. To be functional in areas where you are weakest, and to be able to take your strengths to a high level of excellence.

Critical thinking- To be able to identify and use analytical abilities to solve a design problem, especially since multi-disciplinary approaches are often used. A great solution comes from seeing the problem.

Cooperation- To be able to work with others, and convince them to assist with your vision and recognize how they can help you with your project. Developing relationships with those who have skills you don’t have, but need to accomplish a project (CNC, molding, etc.) This involves your own flexibility as well.

TF

Yes, technical skills are important. However the ability to communicate and sell your ideas and yourself is the MOST important skill.

That’s like saying someone who doesn’t write very legibly isn’t as good of an author as someone with pretty cursive writing, since that’s the fastest way to write fluidly and get your ideas down. Well some people write quickly and can send a handwritten manuscript off and the editor will be able to read it well. But others write like chicken scratch, still enough to get their thoughts out quickly, but they’ll have to type it up before they send it to the editor. Just because they have to type to get a clean final version doesn’t mean they’re any less of an author.
People that think typing is too slow probably dont’ know how to touch-type.

There’s also all kinds of degenerative or neuromuscular ailments someone could have or develop that prevents them from being able to make broad smooth strokes with good line quality by hand. But a vector program would allow that person to do good clean work if they still have the eye for it. Doesn’t take a lot of muscular control to click the mouse, as long as you have the eye to put the lines where they need to be. Having the eye is the most important part.

Different people use different tools, it’s all about being effective with whatever tool you do use.

That’s simlply not true. A person that sketches and considers it to be great work should also be able to do it in CAD. Otherwise he/she is not a good designer, specially now that some CAD tool is required in good schools.

My sketching sucks and my CAD skills are probably no better. However, I am a successful designer? How do I do it you may ask? well I have a good team around me. Some of them are excellent at CAD others can sketch and draw, others are amazing engineers. My strong points are taking a concept through to reality and looking sexy!