sketchy experience in portland

Sorry in advance for the written novel!

Now that this recent fiasco is over I can post my story to hopefully evoke some insight. Currently I am an ID in the midwest and have been for 6 months since I graduated. three weeks ago I contacted a company in Portland OR, in response to a Coroflot posting. They liked my work and were interested in having me for an interview. I flew out at my expense. It went really well and I recieved a call the next day. They welcomed me as a new member of the team and explained the salary and benefits package etc. They then made it clear that my start date would have to be talked about, but regardless welcome aboard. Excited I immediately put in my two weeks and cancelled a lease in which I was supposed to move in the day of my interview. I spoke with them over the phone many times in which they were very short and seemed to dodge my questions about relocation cost and a fulltime written contract. They needed me right away and asked if I could come out sooner than two weeks. I said OK and could make it out a week sooner than my end date at the current job. The were thrilled and said see ya monday. I again had to ask, does this entail a fulltime written contract when I get out there. Finally a response. NO not until next week when we should know about a potential client. I said in that case I would personally feel more comfortable waiting to move all the way out until you know that you have a future need for me and can offer contractual agreements. They said OK and we’ll contact you next week. That was last week and still no response. At this point my two weeks is up and have decided to stay with my current company. They welcomed me back with no hard feelings.

Is this typical of small firms working project to project? I can now see why designers use HR people. As you can imagine I feel a little down because I
lost the opportunity to start at a firm with projects that I’m really into.

Any comments, advice or similar experiences?

Wow. Absolutely rotten. IMO no company, large or small, should pull that kind of garbage. You didn’t lose any opportunity as it doesn’t sound like there was a solid thing to start with. Unfortunately it’s symptomatic of smaller firms to have the shit hit the fan with the loss or suspension of a prime client, so perhaps that’s what happened to them, but regardless they offered you a job, you had a commitment, and they gave you the runaround.

Go ahead and post the name of the firm if you like. Burn bridges, burn 'em.

It’s great that your old co. gave you your job back, that’s big of them, compared with the complete unprofessionalism of the Portland firm.

Some do do this, others do not.
This would cause me to walk away.

Wow, that could have turned out really horrible for you, but it’s good that it didn’t pan out because you got a good whiff of how they treat employees, and you weren’t even on board yet! If your current company welcomed you back that says alot about them too, i’ve heard of this happening to people and when they try to come back they’re shut out. It doesn’t sound like you have any friends working there or that you have any connections to the place, you should spill who it is so no one here wastes their time either.

I agree and I bet the name of the firm would start with a big old “Z”.

/ Search Results

Contract Design
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

designunit/Keith Layton
Portland, OR
Industrial Design
Packaging
Graphic Design

FIORI
Portland, OR
Research
Strategic Consulting
Industrial Design

CR Design
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

i.d.concepts
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Mayer/Reed
Portland, OR
Graphic Design
Industrial Design
Exhibit Design

FUSE
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Mark Roberts Design
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

eoos
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Engineering Design Consultants, Ltd.
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Arete Design
Portland, OR
Exhibit Design
Industrial Design

nothingrhymeswith_orange
Portland, OR

FlatHED
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

IYA Creative
Portland, OR
Branding
Research
Strategic Consulting

oMA Inc.
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Protem Creative
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Wendie Siverts Studio
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Phil Frank Design, LLC
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

PLATYCAD
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

ZIBA Design
Portland, OR
Industrial Design

Studio Timothy
Portland, OR
Graphic Design

sondesign…
Portland, OR
Industrial Design
Exhibit Design
Graphic Design

PCD Group
Portland, OR
Interaction Design
Motion Graphics

Studio Calavaria
Portland, OR
Design Management
Graphic Design

the alchemy of design
Portland, OR
Exhibit Design

SYREN STUDIOS
portland, OR
Design Management
Industrial Design
Fashion/Apparel

Wow! Really shady situation, but I’m glad to hear that you were able to go back to your previous employer.

(Sure would like to know what company this was!)

They have a record of being bad at doing business. We know them from the client side. It sounds like their account took a right turn and they were trying to move to fast. Sorry to hear that you ended up in the middle of the accident.

You might still consider still taking the job…provided that they come clean with you, apologize and pay a significant bonus in the form of moving expenses (better tax wise than a straight bonus), then you can afford to move back if things go to shit. They are nice people, at least to the people who give them money.

Best.

r u dreaming? what kinda of a moron are u?

Thanks for all the input I feel better now. I dont want to say the name, but its not ZIBA. They did finally get back to me to say they got the prospective client and more and are still interested if I’m available and when. Same vague question they asked 3 weeks ago. I responded and said that I kept my current job and won’t be coming out to Portland. I thanked them for the opportunity and offered to work on projects with them on a freelance basis. They seemed interested, but understandably hesitant about the distance.

Thanks to whoever posted the Portland design firm list. Is this a Coroflot search list?

As far as I know, there isn’t a consultancy I would work for in PDX, except for Ziba or Fiori. Forget about the other company.

P.S.

(from above)

And I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Fuse.