sketching people

Hello,
There have been a few threads on sketching books (the UMEA one being a good find) but I am now interested in books that will teach me how to draw people: proportions, movement, quick sketching, etc. anyone have any suggestions?

I’d check a local library as a first start. Theres a ton of traditional books out there on figure drawing that have really good sections on figure drawing/proportions etc.

You might also want to check any local colleges for a figure drawing class.

Without being perfect some books by Burne Hogarth are providing an interesting basis on the subject.

http://www.amazon.ca/dessin-anatomique-facile-Burne-Hogarth/dp/3822896675/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214939854&sr=1-17

http://www.amazon.ca/Dynamic-Figure-Drawing-Burne-Hogarth/dp/0823015777/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214939821&sr=1-2

vandebar, good finds, especially the french one looks useful. I went to half-price books and got one i thought was a primer to understanding the body: “Anatomy for the artist” by Daniel Carter and Michael Courtney. It looks like an older edition.

I might get other ones more specific to sketching, as most of the ones i found were more suited to artsy drawing instead of quick viz.

I would recommend:

Anatomy for the Artist

Drawing comics the Marvel Way

Another vote here for Hogarth and Marvel, classics.

Figure drawing for all it’s worth by Andrew Loomis

in fact, any book by Andrew Loomis or George Bridgeman

You can get them in PDF format for free from here;

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94571

There really is no substitute for drawing from life. As was mentioned earlier, enroll in any figure/life drawing class you can find. If not, at least pay attention to people- the way they walk, how their faces are proportioned, etc. And if all else fails, you can always draw yourself. As far as books go:

-George Bridgman- Famous American Illustrator in the early 1900’s, taught in New York. He wrote many books, all of them are golden. He has the best system for drawing heads that I’ve seen (constructing inside of a cube). Emphasizes actual construction of the figure and how forms are interrelated. The comic legend Jim Lee swears by Bridgman, especially when it comes to thinking of muscles as ‘wedging’ or interlocking into one another. Bridgman’s Complete Guide to Drawing from Life is a collection of all of his books and is sold for less than 20$.

-The Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist- Stephen Rogers Peck - Written and illustrated by a medical illustrator. Invaluable reference for muscles and skeletal structure, and he also shows how proportions for the human figure change with age for both male and female figures- from ‘infancy’ to ‘senility’ (proportion is usually based on ‘heads’- the number of head heiths a person is). Also covers universal facial expressions, and differences of facial structures within ethnicities. Many photos of live models. Contains nudity.

-Figure Drawing for What it’s Worth- Andrew Loomis- Known as one of the standards in the comic book industry. Very clearly written and easy to understand. Also covers basic perspective and rendering/sketching techniques. An out of print book that can be readily found for free online. Most well rounded and comprehensive if you’re just beginning.

In my opinion, Burne Hogarth’s stuff is way too stylized- every figure he draws has exactly the same over-exaggerated muscle structure, and his figures look swollen/inflated (think balloons). I’d also recommend staying away from Jack Hamm, who was recommended to me by an Academy of Art recruiter a couple of years back (I was considering sequential art)… Hamm’s stuff is very cartoony and over-stylized. And not to knock on the Marvel book, but it is also learning more of a style (which is always over-exaggerated musculature). You want to learn core construction rather than surfacing. With practice you can develop your own style. The Loomis book is what most comic illustrators learned from anyway, and is as easy to understand and infinitely more constructive in its approach.

try searching what kind of book you need in google. in in sketching people you need to draw each portion separately. then combining it one by one. this is kinda hard at first but you will get it eventually .

Sarah Simblet’s Anatomy for the Artist is my favorite anatomy book.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Artist-Sarah-Simblet/dp/078948045X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218942767&sr=8-1

The photography is beautiful and so is the drawing. You also get to see vellum printed with muscle/and or skeleton forms over some of the photographs. There are also really great models that do really interesting poses to showcase the form.

I think it’s really a great resource because it focuses on the details of the form and what I feel is important about understanding the human body. If you understand how everything fits and works you can draw the form with more ease.

I wanted to draw comics since I was a kid and so I’ve gone through my share of anatomy books and this is my favorite so far.

wow thanks for the great suggestions!

is there an ebook on this? i love it…

This site has quick pose generators to practice from. The models are computer generated and have no skin (kind of gross, I know) so its not so “nakedy” to offend your boss or mom. Take a look.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/

good luck.