Sizing?

Hey all.

I’m halfway through my second year of product design at Iceland’s University of the Arts and finally got a teacher to agree to letting me do a shoe for a project.

The course is all about creating the sheets that you would turn to the manufactuer or factory. It requires us to defy each and every part of the design and draw multiple views along with measurements.

My question is, just how much thought is a shoe designer required to put into sizing? Do you just turn in the measurements for the sample size or do you create a table of some sort wich incicates how much each part changes due to difference in shoe size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i put absolutely no thought into the sizing…i know how it works but it’s not my job to do it!

once i’ve made the samples, lets say in a size 37, and the sample size 37 has been confirmed then the guy that’s responsible for the grading does his job…only thing you may need to tell him is if you want half sizes and if so for which sizes.

most factories use machines that do the whole grading process but everything needs to be checked before prodution starts.

The only time I start to worry about sizing is when a product goes “full family” Which means men’s, women’s, grade school, kid’s, toddler, and even infint interpretations of the design are done. The sizing guys do most of it, but I like to tweak each one as appropriat. IE, the todler one might have a velcro closure, the patern might get simpler, with bolder shapes ect.

Thanks for your replies guys, very helpful.

DONT WORRY ABOUT SIZEING TILL IT GOES INTO PRODUCTION. AS FOR SAMPLES WHICH IS IN YOUR CASE SAMPLE SIZE IN THE SHOE INDUCTRY SI ABOUT 8.5 OR 9.5 US SIZE FOR MEN’S AND 7.5 FOR WOMENS