Simple question

How do you time your work?
What does “over time” mean?

Let me explain my questions. I believe most ID work environments now let you, or simply assign you the number of hours you will spend on a particular project a week. So when deliverables are due, people tend to stay way beyond regular office hours. Of course, nobody tells you to stay, it’s simply because you want to finish it up before the project is due.

How does those extra hours get reported? Or do they? So under what kind of situation do you get paid for “over time”?

I don’t get it because in a regular paper work kinda office where people report their time when they arrive at work, they don’t need to work beyond office hours. It’s when there’s a need to then the boss will notify certain individuals and they get paid.

Ok, that’s for full time.

I’m an intern. The contract did say I get paid overtime rates if necessary, and if my supervisor signs it. I’ve been putting 40 hours every week even though I’ve spend way more time this week. I don’t really care about the money, but I am just curious how it works so I know how to react when I am a full time.

What we do at work to know how much time we spend in each project consists in writing down what we´re doing every 15 minutes. I mean, we do not write everything: we have a special sheet where we color-mark a box for every 15 minutes spent in a project.

Of course, not all the boxes are filled in a day. It´s impossible to work without resting at least your sight. But this technique helps us to optimize timing (by being conscious of what we´re spending our time in) and to know how much to charge for “design time”.

I think you’re generally referring to the difference between hourly and salaried positions.

When you’re hourly, the thinking is that you’re not really in control of your duties and time management, so you clock in and out (or equivalent), and your supervisor gives you assignments and manages your time. If you work overtime, you generally get paid time and a half.

When you’re salaried, you’re thought to be more or less in control of how you spend your time. So, you might work late one day, take off early the next. Of course, the reality is not that simple. It’s not like you end up working less. In fact, you almost always end up working more than 40 hours/week. A lot of firms have an informal system, whereby if you work late, you come in late the next day. Or, if you come in on the weekend, you get comp time (take time off without using your vacation time) when things slow down. But, there are also firms that abuse their salaried workers and basically force you to work more without adequate compensation.

As an intern, I suppose you’re not at all in charge of your time so, if you work more than fulltime, I guess you have an agreement with your employer on how you’ll be compensated. This is the right strategy, but not all intern employers use it.