Silicon Molding Question

I am in the works of finishing up my final models for my senior thesis project and am in need of molding a small silicon piece. I have used silicon many times before, so I do not have a question about the process, rather I am wondering if there is a easy way to color the silicon? I know you can buy silicon pigments from distributers like Smooth-On, but is there a simpler “cheeper” way to color the silicon? It is not too expensive for the pigment, I just figured there may be a “do-it-yourself” trick out there.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated!

best,

kt

I’m pretty sure you can use food coloring.

RIT dye might be an option to try as well. Just be sure to keep the amount you use to an extreme minimum. Measure in # of drops you add to the mix as silicone can be very touchy about the proportions you use and you really shouldn’t need to add much anyway (especially if it’s a small part).

Good luck!

RIT dye might be an option to try as well. Just be sure to keep the amount you use to an extreme minimum. Measure in # of drops you add to the mix as silicone can be very touchy about the proportions you use and you really shouldn’t need to add much anyway (especially if it’s a small part).

Good luck!