Should we make it harder to get into Industrial Design?

Anyhow, maybe we don’t need a definate exam, but at least figure out a way to weed out the people that don’t properly represent the profession. It’s one of the ways that we will continue to get more and more respect in the workplace and be better understood.

it is called natural selection…is this not already happening? those who are deemed good enough make it and those that do not either leave the field or work on their skills until they do find a place for them. it already common knowledge that schools are pumping out many more graduates than there are jobs…you can not count on schools to make this reform because it is not really in their best interest to do so…and ultimately it is up to the individual to make their education count.

if there is a problem, imo it is with the idsa, if the profession is lacking respect one would think “Industrial Designers Society of America” would be at the forefront of a movement to make it more visible not only to companies but the public at large, not only here in the states but to the rest of the world. when i was in europe not one designer or design student i talked to even knew who or what idsa was…

as was stated what accreditation would be is yet another hoop most designers would have to jump through to get employment…

ufo get a job stop filling the boards with trash

You guys (and gals) are killing me. Certification? Licensing? Let’s get real. There are less jobs today due to a large number of them going to China and India. How are you going to license those guys overseas? Just the simple fact that many of the design jobs are leaving the US means that there is no need for any type of ID certification. I think the key should be how to use the design skills learned in school in order to make the next design related career move.

I would say that for ID the jobs will tend to stay here because they want to sell to the American market, engineering and all that other stuff can go over seas but some of the Chinese mfging have set up branches in the US with IDers to style the product.

Regarding UFO - does anyone on Core actually like this “Chris Bangle” impersonator - I would take him up on his offer Yo and pleeeeaaaassseeee delete him. You would do us all a favor by kicking that downer, spiteful, thinks-he-knows-it-all off the boards.

I think we could do some sort of test for people wanting to get into ID involving a couple of stages - a labrynth, a swimsuit competition, maybe a vision quest, and if they pass then they get some sort of tin foil crown with marker rendered jewels.

Seriously, the only reason Architects have certification is because their building could fall down and kill people. Engineers take any hurting/maiming responsibility away from IDers.

for your info i already got a job and i don’t think it’s professional to speak on behalf of other employers when you have no authority.

ufo get a job stop filling the boards with trash

You guys (and gals) are killing me. Certification? Licensing? Let’s get real. There are less jobs today due to a large number of them going to China and India. How are you going to license those guys overseas? Just the simple fact that many of the design jobs are leaving the US means that there is no need for any type of ID certification. I think the key should be how to use the design skills learned in school in order to make the next design related career move.

Yo Mamy

I would say that for ID the jobs will tend to stay here because they want to sell to the American market, engineering and all that other stuff can go over seas but some of the Chinese mfging have set up branches in the US with IDers to style the product.

Regarding UFO - does anyone on Core actually like this “Chris Bangle” impersonator - I would take him up on his offer Yo and pleeeeaaaassseeee delete him. You would do us all a favor by kicking that downer, spiteful, thinks-he-knows-it-all off the boards.

I think we could do some sort of test for people wanting to get into ID involving a couple of stages - a labrynth, a swimsuit competition, maybe a vision quest, and if they pass then they get some sort of tin foil crown with marker rendered jewels.

Seriously, the only reason Architects have certification is because their building could fall down and kill people. Engineers take any hurting/maiming responsibility away from IDers.

wow. four consecutive rants without any content or reasoning by anonymous “guest”.

keep it up you might win a ticket to superbowl!

Not in the slightest…if you designed a car cup holder that made people spill their coffee on their groin in a hard right turn, the person who signed off on that would get sued. And cup holders don’t take a lot of engineering.

Nice that in Canada people have grown up enough to realize that spilling your coffee does not give you Undue Mental and Emotional Trauma which can only be fixed with cold, hard cash.