shops/rp survey --- please respond

Hey everybody, This is my first post, but I suspect it will not be my last.

I currently mange the workshop at the Coll of Arch and LA(CALA) at the Uof MN. We are doing a study investigating the feasibility of introducing an ID program into what will soon be a new “college of design” (CALA is being merged with Dept of Design, Housing and Apparel)

I have been charged with surveying existing programs’ production facilities and capabilities. Since many of you are quite fond of your programs, I was hoping that you would be able to lessen my homework.

Of course I will re-post the responses in a value-added format.

I’ll try to make it brief:

~# of students?

shared shop? who with? (sculpture, architecture, etc…)

~sqft of shop space?

professional staff?

of student staff?

~hours open/wk?

~total sq/ft

~woodshop sq ft?

~metal/machine shop sq ft?

other

thermoforming?

metal casting?

forge?

Rapid Prototyping/CNC equipment? Which?

other notable features?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I’ll be posting this request here and there, but I’ll try not to be too irrating.

K. Groenke
archshop@umn.edu

ArtCenter

~# of students? College wide, 1700 per term (Art Center is trimester) All students are eligible to use the shop and about 80% will during their 4 year stay (special classes are offered and are required to use power equipment)

shared shop? who with? (sculpture, architecture, etc…) Shop open to all students, all majors; Ind. Design students are primary users, and consist of transportation, product and environmental students. Other users include; fine art, photo, film, illustration, graphics and grad ID students, both Fine Art and ID.

~sqft of shop space? Shop area has about 5000 sq foot wood working, main shop area. (This area consists of most of the wood working tools needing supervision such as table saws, band saws, lathes, etc. and also includes our tool crib and retail sales area for lumber and supplies) We have satellite rooms for other areas including welding, spray booths, sanding, composite room for casting chemicals, vacuum forming, CNC machining. We also have separate rooms for our laser cutting and RP labs, a small computer lab, and a Metal fabrication room.

professional staff? Shop instructors are all highly trained professsionals. Full time staff consists of 4 full time instructors, 12 part time; too crib has 4 full time employees and 10 part time. 3D lab consists of three full time technicians and 6 part time employees

of student staff? We do not use students as staff, except to do clerical or clean up work during the breaks.

~hours open/wk? Depending on what part of the 14 week term (Week 2-10 = 8am to 10pm M-THURS, FRIDAY 8am-4pm; Weeks 10-13, 8am –10pm plus we open on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm)

~total sq/ft See above

~woodshop sq ft? See above

~metal/machine shop sq ft? See above

other

thermoforming? yes

metal casting? no

forge? no

Rapid Prototyping/CNC equipment? Which? Three Stratasys FDM’s; One 3D Systems Wax printer; 2 older Zcorp starch printers, 1 AXYZ panel router, 1 Motion Master 5axis mill, 2 older Techno 3axis routers (these are being replaced with brand new AXYZ 3axis CNC Routers) 4 Universal laser cutters, 1 Epilog laser cutter, 1 Cyberware small scanner, 1 Microscribe digitizer, 1 Fadal 4020 CNC Vertical Milling Machine.

other notable features?

Georgia Tech

~# of students?

The total number of Students associated with the College of Architecture is more than 1000. But the actual number of students that use the Shop is approximately half ~500.

The majority of students are Industrial Design, next Arch Grad, then Arch Undergrad, some Building Construction.

professional staff?

1 Full-time Shop Supervisor, with own office.

of student staff?

3 Grad, 3 Undergrad with their own office.

~hours open/wk?

70 hours per week.

~total sq/ft

~woodshop sq ft?

other:

welding processes?

With-in the Metal area

thermoforming?

Small area with old machine, 400 sq ft.

metal casting?

no

forge?

no

Our CNC equipment is in the Advanced Woods Product Lab (totally different building and Center). I (or the Grad students that work for me) support and operate 2, ZCorp 3D Printers (which are very fun, btw, but expensive).

other notable features?

Some Machine examples: 2, 3D printers - 3 Table Saws - 4 Band Saws - 3 Combo Sanders - 1 Mill - 3 Drill Presses - 1 Planer - 2 Jointers - 1 Radial Arm Saw - Various Metal Equipment -

Auburn

~# of students served?
200+
we have our own shop space

professional staff?

1 full time staff

of student staff?

3 student workers
~hours open/wk?
48 hrs. mon-fri 8:30-11:30 1:00-4:00 mon-thur 5:00-8:00 nights sun
1:00-7:00
~total sqft?
4,000 total shop space
~woodworking sqft?
2,600 sqft.
~metal/machine shop sqft?
1,600 sqft.
~other sqft?
covered area outside of wood and metal shops over 3,000 sqft.
other:

welding processes?
mig, in the process of getting a tig machine, also have a plasma
cutter, oxy-acetylene.

thermoforming?
2 machines one has a 18 x 18 inch platform and the large one has a four
foot by eight foot platform.
metal casting?
no
forge?
no
we have access to a laser cutter and a cnc router plus we are in the
process of getting a benchtop cnc mill
other notable features? We basically have the same equipment. we have 4
bandsaws, 2 tablesaws, 15 inch planer, 8 inch jointer, 24 inch drum
sander, 2 miter saws, scroll saw, 3 drill presses, 16 inch by 96 inch
wood lathe, spindle sander, 4 x 132 inch edge belt sander, 2 disc
sanders and basic portable hand tools.

Virginia Tech

~# of students? -2000

shared shop? who with? (sculpture, architecture, etc…) - architecture, landscape architecture, industrial design, interior design, building & construction.

professional staff? -4

of student staff?- 4

~hours open/wk?-metal shop-40, wood shop-52

~total sq/ft -4333

~woodshop sq ft? -2212

~metal/machine shop sq ft?-1507

----office-248

----assembly rm./ connected finish rm.-366

other:

welding processes?–oxy-acetelyne, mig, tig, spot

thermoforming? -no

metal casting? -no

forge?-no

Rapid Prototyping/CNC equipment? Which? -3 axis mill, 3-d printer

other notable features?-loading dock, dumpster service, small microwave and fridge in office

San Jose State University

~# of students? The School of Art & Design (Art Department) has 2000 FTE (full time enrolled students) The industrial design program has a total of 100 students.

The shop facilities are shared with all Art & Design classes as an open facility

professional staff?

The shop is staffed with a full time technician, a part time technician -10 hours per week

of student staff?

Graduate Assistant - 10 hours per week, and 20 hours a week of student assistant staff
a part time technician -10 hours per week

~hours open/wk?

~total sq/ft

\

~woodshop sq ft?

\

other:
We have a 1000sf room that has a 250sf spray booth at one end and an open clean assembly area that has frame and mat cutting equipment and also has a thermoformer and some sheet metal equipment.

We have another 500sf dedicated to welding and small sheet metal

welding processes?
We have both gas welding and tig welding and spot welding facilities

\

thermoforming? yes

metal casting? We have both small metal casting and jewlery in this building and a seperate 12000sf foundry off campus which also has a large metal fabrication capability

forge? yes

Rapid Prototyping/CNC equipment? Which? Yes, Fused Deposition Modeling

other notable features? take a look at our web site http://www2.sjsu.edu/depts/art_design/facilities/Facilities/index.html

I’ve posted comprehensive results to the shops’ survey here:
http://www.cala.umn.edu/workshop/documents/SHOPSSURVEY.pdf

I will add data from other programs as I receive them.

If your program isn’t listed, please help to make this survey as comprehensive as possible by responding to the survey.

Thanks.

K. Groenke
archshop@umn.edu
http://www.cala.umn.edu/workshop/

OK, so this list is reaching critical mass. I still need data from some biggies like: CCS, CCA, CCAD, and SCAD, but the 12 or so responses thus far should be helpful to us and hopefully to you.

data can still be found here:
http://www.cala.umn.edu/workshop/documents/SHOPSSURVEY.pdf

If you can help to fill in the blanks, please respond to the survey on the first message of this thread.

Thanks

K.Groenke
CALA Workshop
http://www.cala.umn.edu/workshop/