SF - Objectified

Anyone of you had watched it in Sundance Kabuki Cinemas tonight?

A great film and very influential piece.

One of the moment is pretty new to me.

I forget the firm’s name but it is a guy and a woman from London talking about their concept video.

The quote is “I am making mass communication instead of mass production.” Something like that. It is quite inspiring and makes sense.

http://www.dunneandraby.co.uk

I think their stuff is Art rather than design but I too like the concept of 1 thing being produced and many 1000’s of folks get to experience there product without actually purchasing it.

At the London premier Gary Hustwit ,the director of the film, mentioned he made a film he wanted to see…which is also a nice idea to strive for.

I saw it at the NY screening a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed this movie. Despite all the stuff we complain about, we’re privileged to work in a really cool segment of the design world. I think GH did a nice job of showing the different facets that make up ID. From the grande consultancies, celeb designers, to those weirdo robot people at the end, there’s a nice balance.

I think GH did a nice job of showing the different facets that make up ID. From the grande consultancies, celeb designers, to those weirdo robot people at the end, there’s a nice balance.

I do think he missed out a segment of the design world though…the folks who design all the junk!

It would have been a nice contrast to show some design villains against the design hero’s (Mr Ive, Mr Newson, Mr Rams…etc)

I couldn’t name any design villains but perhaps if he had found some really shit tacky product and then worked his way back to find who designed it.

When the HECK to we get to see this film in FL!? :confused:

re: the Junk side of ID, it might be kind of interesting to see the “design Process” of a copycat shop. They turn that stuff around pretty quick. I seriously wonder what goes through their heads sometimes.

I was hoping the film would have been more controversial - “pot stirring” - not only of and to the groups within the industry but also affected by the industry, both positively and negatively. It was just too “easy” for me - almost forgetful even like boring art (not calling the film “boring”). I would rather wanted to be surrounded by really pissed off viewers upon leaving the theater.

In Helvetica they interview a design who doesn’t give a F**k about all these typography rules…it gives it a nice contrast. Would have bee nice if they did the same in objectified.

I wonder what he will do next…architecture, fashion, footwear,…highway design?

I thought I read somewhere he wanted to do one on graphics, though Helvetica is slightly related to that

I was talking about Michael Graves designs on another forum …and got a really rude reaction. Some people really hate Graves’ work. It is funny because Graves was one of the revolutionaries of contemporary design who ushered in a new era of creativity to counter the increasingly Formalist product designs of the late Modern Movement.